• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

two blown trailer tires today

Fastdirt

I have the same trailer (20XPT) and am forced once again to to get two or three new tires in the morning. I have an entirely different issue with my daytons and and obvious alignment issue. I've bought several tires in less than two years. Maybe 8 or 10. As far as your load it looks pretty balanced to me, maybe a bit forward. You might be able to back up six inches, but track loaders are heavy in the rear. I think those 17" low profiles just run hot. Probably just a unlucky thing to lose two tires.

I can atest that heat will blow those tires. Five years ago as an employee pulling a 20 ton tag with a 15 ton excavator. I was alerted by a guy on foot at a red light that my rear brake was on fire. (the mechanic had just adjusted). So I pull into the immediate parking lot and find the the trailer brake drum glowing orange with flames. This is where I made a near fatal mistake. I waited about 5 or 10 minutes and grabbed a wrench and slid under the trailer. As I was slithering on my back up to the slack adjuster the inner tire exploded. I cannot describe that impact. I just rememberd being covered in dirt and my ears were ringing and I couldn't hear or see hardly from all the dirt that got shocked off the trailer. The tire exploded at the inner top and all the of the impact hit the I beam of the trailer. I could have been killed or severly injured me. They bought me a new rig and I put the machine on it and went to work. When I got back to the shop, the trailer was jacked up with the blowout removed. I saw first hand at the damage that tire did to the I-beam. It was pitted pretty good. It was a new tire. Just amazing the pressure to explode a tire of that strength that is new. I forget the term used when a tire blows soley from heat but it is a fitting and interesting word.

shopguy

Thanks for sharing this Fastdirt may save someones neck I for one would have done the same thing but not now.There was a driver here that saw a rock between his tires and tried to get it out and bang ,we learn from mistakes.

Fastdirt

. Just amazing the pressure to explode a tire of that strength that is new. I forget the term used when a tire blows soley from heat but it is a fitting and interesting word.

It is called Pyrolysis. Just looked it up again.