• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tv380 no crank

Mcluga

I have a 2012 tv380 EH std flow machine. Serial # NEM464393

problem: won’t turn over

when I push start I hear relay in fuse block click and a clicking behind seat but doesn’t turn over.

I’ve checked:
All fuses, relays, main relays next to battery, #3 4amp fuses in engine compartment, main fuse block by battery, cleaned fuse block wires and checked continunity across fuse, power getting to starter and drops from 12.7 to 12.6 when start button pushed.

any ideas?? Threw some 19## codes but since charging battery those codes went away. I’m thinking corrosion or connection somewhere but I’ve done all I know.
Please help!

Txhayseed

Are you checking your voltage at the main battery feed to your starter or your starter solenoid wire ? Thats not much drop for a starter If your on the solenoid wire. Can you get it to start If you jump the starter solenoid direct ?? If you where testing for voltage drop and where in fact on the starter wire and had 12.6 volts with start function engaged I would suspect the starter solenoid itself.

Last edited:

Mcluga

I was checking voltage drop at the starter solenoid. I tried jumping the starter at the solenoid by connecting the battery feed to the small wire that I believe is the starter trigger wire. When I do this I can feel and hear a click at the starter, but it does not turn over.

should I try jumping the starter bypassing the solenoid?

Mcluga

Hey. This is what I’ve tried doing.

I checked the solenoid to the starter wire while pushing start and there is some power, but nothing sustainable that the voltmeter can read. I applied 12v directly to the starter wire and nothing happens. I tried this while pushing the start button and still nothing happens. Does that indicate that I have a bad starter. I’m just unsure because these machines have so many sensors and such that this method may still not work like a conventional starter works. But I feel like the starter is bad?? The starter is getting 12v to the solenoid and it clicks when I push the start button. But 12v is not getting to the starter that I can read.
Thanks.

Are you checking your voltage at the main battery feed to your starter or your starter solenoid wire ? Thats not much drop for a starter If your on the solenoid wire. Can you get it to start If you jump the starter solenoid direct ?? If you where testing for voltage drop and where in fact on the starter wire and had 12.6 volts with start function engaged I would suspect the starter solenoid itself.

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
Corrosion and fuse box issues were common with these machines.
Is there anything electrical in the cab that doesn't work, like the blower or the lights?
There is 4 diodes under the cab on the left side frame, inline in the harness. They are often rotten and corroded.

Assuming that you correctly sent power to the starter solenoid, the engine should have cranked over. It may not have started, but it should have cranked. Verify that you sent power to the correct wires.

Mcluga

Corrosion and fuse box issues were common with these machines.
Is there anything electrical in the cab that doesn't work, like the blower or the lights?
There is 4 diodes under the cab on the left side frame, inline in the harness. They are often rotten and corroded.

Assuming that you correctly sent power to the starter solenoid, the engine should have cranked over. It may not have started, but it should have cranked. Verify that you sent power to the correct wires.[/

banged on starter and it eventually started. Got old starter out and will put new one in in a few days. Fingers crossed that was all of the problem.