• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trying to identify an older CAT engine with no serial number?

MUGLY

Working on a completely unidentified mine loader. Trying to do some research on it and I cannot for the life of me find a single number on it. It is a 4 cylinder, non turbo, assuming to be a CAT engine.

I have the number: 2B9Z08 as a casting number in the block and

2P940
-12-
NWP

is stamped into the block.

From my research online, I saw 2P940 to be mentioned as a casting number D-330 engine from a repower store. Can the stamped number in this block be considered a casting number, or is it only the number cast into the block?

Not sure if this was the right forum for this post, so I'll understand if it is moved.

Thanks everyone!

MUGLY

Thank you for the replies. As I've stated before, I'm rather new to all this and I am just doing the best I can to learn everyday. My research online pointed me to a D330C but gave me zero info beyond that. Is a 3304 a newer (yet still old) version of the D 330? I'm familiarizing myself with the years/generations of CAT engines.

grandpa

Yes Mugly, the D series engines are the older one's...... and far as learn everyday,,, if your not learning your either dumb or dead.

Bluox

MUGLY,
Look between the head and the transmission oil cooler,the engine # tag should be there.
Bob

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
Definetly 3304. Has the square water pump. D330c has round water pump and usually, but not always, the canister oil filters. Very late D330c and 3304 are spin on. Water pump is easiest way to tell.
Also D330c has the compact scroll fuel pump. Early 3304 also has this; but later 3304 all have the 'square' sleeve metering fuel pump. [which yours has]
D330c /D333c use the machine there fitted to serial number. 3304/6 use there own separate serial number.