• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trunnion Bearing/Pin

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
I found the Cat diagram of the trunnion of my Cat D3G. It shows that there is a bearing on the trunnion pin that secures the blade to the c-frame. How do you determine when the bearing and/or pin needs to be replaced?

dblaneyfan

You first determine if you have excess movement in the joint. If there is excess movement then you should remove the cap, remove the shims, re-install the cap (run the bolts up so that the cap gap is even on both sides) and measure the gap between the caps. Replace with how many shims are required to fill the gap, then add one more shim between each side of the caps.

If the caps meet without any shims then it is time to replace parts.

bobin35

I slot the shims when installing new trunion ball and socket thats a lot easier than removing and replacing the blade for ajdustment take a cut off wheel and cut in toward the inside of the shim!

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
You first determine if you have excess movement in the joint. If there is excess movement then you should remove the cap, remove the shims, re-install the cap (run the bolts up so that the cap gap is even on both sides) and measure the gap between the caps. Replace with how many shims are required to fill the gap, then add one more shim between each side of the caps.

If the caps meet without any shims then it is time to replace parts.

I notice on my machine that the trunnion ball is attached to the middle of a pin. The pin is welded to the c-frame at the top and bottom of the pin which stands up-right. How is the ball attached to the pin or is the pin and ball all one part? If the ball and pin are integrated into one part, do you have to cut the pin and ball out and weld the new one in?

Catmantwo

I notice on my machine that the trunnion ball is attached to the middle of a pin. The pin is welded to the c-frame at the top and bottom of the pin which stands up-right. How is the ball attached to the pin or is the pin and ball all one part? If the ball and pin are integrated into one part, do you have to cut the pin and ball out and weld the new one in?

Yes The old pin and ball needs to be cut out and the new one welded in place. I just had the local Cat dealer come out and change this in the field on my D3C.

durty detroit

Occupation
hard rock miner
caterpillar 235.. broken house need help anyideas.?

macck-attacks@hotmail.comHey guys im new to this site but im tryin my best to make sense of anyof this! okay so i got a caterpilar 235 big enough machine right. well the house broke and the boom and cab droped down breakin 2 bolts in the turn table.. and crakin the frame right across. anyideas on how you would fix this.. all post pictures. thanks!

inyati13

Occupation
Farming
Catmantwo. I don't want to ask the cost but am I close thinking something like that would cost about $1 k?

Catmantwo

It was just over $2,500.00 for the dearer to send out 2 service trucks 1 with the mechanic and the other was a welding truck. That included the parts, labor & travel. The parts included are the new trunnion ball, the front cap, new bolts & shims. I also had them do some welding on some cracks on the c-frame as long as they already out there. Keep in mind they had to come 30 miles out into the middle of the north woods to work on the machine. The mechanic was there for about 6 hrs and the welder was there for about 3 hrs. They also had to remove a broken bolt that took some extra time.

I just decided to let the Cat dealer do the work because it would have taken me a much longer time to do the work. They had all the right tools & equipment to do the job in a very efficient manner. I also had them come to me since I have no trailer to haul it to them.

I’m not sure about the rules for posting the name of the dealer, so if I break that rule maybe the moderators can edit this post.

I had Ziegler Cat in Minnesota do the work. These folks truly understand the definition of Customer Service. They are nothing short of Outstanding in everything they offer.