• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Truck Mount Vise Lubricant?

ba12348

I got a can of spray on moly based lube from McMaster to use on a couple rack-and-pinions under a table saw, and NOTHING sticks to it, not even that super-fine MDF dust. Not sure how it handles water though.

mikebramel

Fluid film works decent but collects. The Amsoil Metal Protector works similarly but has a solvent and dries firm and does not attract or collect

Brodiesel

Occupation
My wife makes all the $$$.
Wait, isn't rain a lubricant? Cosmoline might help, its a rust inhibitor I spray on finished engine parts sometimes. The dry film silicone stuff sounds like a good idea though...

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
Birken,

Old thread, but, I went dirt bike riding the other day, and as I sprayed chain lube on the chain... I remembered your question!

The dirt bike chain lube isn't messy, clear with only a little greenish color, it sticks really well and is very persistent, and it doesn't seem to attract dust. And you prob already have a can of it.

GManBart

Occupation
Work for the Citizens of the U.S.!
It is new to me having a vise on the back of my truck. I literally take it apart every few weeks and add a bunch more lube and before long it will feel dried out again. Dust all over where I drive of course. Right now I am using white lithium in a spray can because that's what I had laying around. There must be something better or more appropriate.

I actually just started a website dedicated to mostly restoring and maintaining vises....I'll add a section on lubrication after seeing this. I haven't published the section on the shop tools and techniques for restoring/fixing them, but some of that is included in the blog posts. It's http://mivise.com if you want to poke around and look at pictures.

If your Wilton doesn't have a round body it's not sealed....the Tradesman line is what's most commonly seen on work trucks for the pipe jaws, and fact that they're sealed from the weather (mostly).

Last edited:

Brodiesel

Occupation
I actually just started a website dedicated to mostly restoring and maintaining vises....I'll add a section on lubrication after seeing this. I haven't published the section on the shop tools and techniques for restoring/fixing them, but some of that is included in the blog posts. It's http://mivise.com if you want to poke around and look at pictures.

If your Wilton doesn't have a round body it's not sealed....the Tradesman line is what's most commonly seen on work trucks for the pipe jaws, and fact that they're sealed from the weather (mostly).

This is great, nice site. I must have seen some of your restorations for sale on Ebay. I have 3 Wilton bullets, one which is missing the end cap, that back cap of the bullet is how I describe it, its preventing the vise from expanding on its own, where can I source one of these end caps?

Brodiesel

Occupation

This is great, nice site. I must have seen some of your restorations for sale on Ebay. I have 3 Wilton bullets, one which is missing the end cap, that back cap of the bullet is how I describe it, its preventing the vise from expanding on its own, where can I source one of these end caps?

GManBart

Occupation
Work for the Citizens of the U.S.!

Thanks! It still needs a lot of work, but it's getting there. I've only sold one vise on eBay so far, and just listed another, but I may try more in the future. I really like finding them and fixing them up more than keeping them.

A factory end cap or dust cover can be hard to find for anything but the newest models, but some folks use an engine block freeze plug of the correct size....it doesn't look quite right, but will work.

If you want the best solution you can order a cap machined out of solid steel from Kevin at www.wiltonviseparts.net They cost more, but won't ever dent, which is nice. If you look at his site there's an option to get the partially finished version you can clean up with a grinder and flap disc that saves you something like 20%. If you have trouble sorting that out, give him a call....he's a super nice guy.