• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Truck leasing

Serv

Does anyone here lease their tandem axle class 8 semi trucks? I know of a guy that bought out a somewhat run down dump truck fleet in my area. He ran the fleet as is for about 2 years then gave up and leased about a hundred of them from Ryder. I heard this guy is happier than ever now. From what I gather, Ryder takes care of most of the maintenance items including tires. I'm the market for a newer truck and have my sights set on buying a 2002-2004 Mack day cab from these guys. I currently run a 1999 Kenworth t600 that I've owned for about 4 years or so. We really don't run hard or heavy for the most part, but we need a second truck now. We pull older dry vans and our gross weight averages around 55,000. We've racked up a total of about 150k miles on this truck (which is nothing) in the four years I've had it. Would leasing be a better option for me? Is anyone here doing this? Can anyone offer any advice before I call them for info?

Serv,
I don't know about the leases, but I drove for a company that had 3 trucks leased from them very well maintained equipment. I have driven some crappy trucks and was an o/o, they took very good care of their stuff, don't know details of their lease but, I never had to wash my truck they always fueled and did safety walk around tire pressure, lights ect. If you did have a problem they fixed it right or had you another truck until yours was repaired. I would not hesitate to by one of theirs used, some of the best trucks I have ever driven we had A+ service from them.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
If its a Mack vision I would maybe look for something else if its a Mack Granite then ya it might be okay but I have a feeling its a Mack Vision.

As Jeff about Macks and how good they are he has a Mack.

The best truck to buy is one from a owner operator they take care of the trucks because its their money maker. Any of the lease trucks that the trucking companies had here have been driven the crap right out of them.

LT-9000 You do have a point. I was an O/O first got tired of being away from home and quit driving. Cousin talked me into driving for few days ended up years. Company leased trucks with what we wanted on them not stripped, we took pride in them like having your own without the payments. Ryder did have good maintenance on ours anyway. I would rather be on a dozer though, I operate anything as if it was mine not everyone does, if they treat it like crap they deserve to drive crap. Whoever got my trucks got good ones, guess showing my age more people now seem to have I don't care attitude just looking for a paycheck. :usa

Serv

Serv,
I don't know about the leases, but I drove for a company that had 3 trucks leased from them very well maintained equipment. I have driven some crappy trucks and was an o/o, they took very good care of their stuff, don't know details of their lease but, I never had to wash my truck they always fueled and did safety walk around tire pressure, lights ect. If you did have a problem they fixed it right or had you another truck until yours was repaired. I would not hesitate to by one of theirs used, some of the best trucks I have ever driven we had A+ service from them.

Maybe I should just focus on purchasing another truck out right. My '99 has been a great runner for the most part. It has the red top cummins n14 and all the bells and whistles. It's just too big to be running the short distances we do and small stuff is starting to go wrong with it since we offroad it a couple miles a day at my pit.

I called Ryder Truck Leasing yesterday and the lady asked me a bunch of questions. Then she asked how many trucks I would be needing and I said "One, possibly two." She said she would have someone contact me the same day (yesterday) and nobody called back. I guess I'm not big enough to matter to them.

I asked another friend about lease prices yesterday. He works for GE capital which used to be T.I.P. trailer leasing and he said I would never be able to afford leasing a truck. Says it's very expensive. :beatsme

I looked at a bunch of day cab volvo's yesterday at another friends truck lot. He had just recieved them and he said they came from K-mart. They were 01's and had about 500k miles on them with 11.1 detroits. He was pretty firm on $18,500.00 per unit. I've never worked an 11.1 before. I wonder how much of a dog one would be.

If its a Mack vision I would maybe look for something else if its a Mack Granite then ya it might be okay but I have a feeling its a Mack Vision.

As Jeff about Macks and how good they are he has a Mack.

The best truck to buy is one from a owner operator they take care of the trucks because its their money maker. Any of the lease trucks that the trucking companies had here have been driven the crap right out of them.

I'll keep that in mind. Nobody has Mack's for sale in my town. I need to go as far as Houston to have any selection which is a 5 hour drive for me.

I operate anything as if it was mine not everyone does, if they treat it like crap they deserve to drive crap. Whoever got my trucks got good ones, guess showing my age more people now seem to have I don't care attitude just looking for a paycheck. :usa

My driver deserves crap. I don't even know why I'm going through this for him, but in 5 years I've never been able to change him. He has cost me big $$$ over the years in F ups that were very preventable. But we don't have a very elegant maintenance program in place yet. Getting there slowly but surely though. 8 times out of 10 that I go to my yard on a weekend to do some work, I have to roll the driver window on my t600 for him. We've been over this 11 billion times and he still doesn't get it. :beatsme

jimmyjack

um ,this might be a dumb question but why do you still have this guy around after four years of fck ups:beatsme . is there no one in the area worth anything or they just steering wheel holders:Banghead

Serv

He's fast and knows all the routes are the only reasons he's still around. :beatsme Him and I are actually to the point that I don't personally talk to him anymore. I just don't get along with this guy. He's one of those guys that thinks he's better than everyone else he's around. Also, whenever the guy would report a breakdown or problem to me, he'd do it with a smirk/smile on his face.

I just let my wife deal with him since she runs the office and does all the dispatching. We have about 25 different accounts that he services so if/when it's time to give him the boot, I'll have my hands full for a while teaching the new guy the ropes I guess.