• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Truck Hoe

Old Doug

I have been thinking about this for several years . i started looking for a hoe but they were ether more money than i wanted to spend or to far away to bring home but i found one 25 mile away 2 weeks ago for about scrap price. I want to mount it on a truck. In the next 1 year or 2 i will be building a shop and maybe a house were i will need to do some digging and i will also build a grapple to load scrap iron. I have 3 trucks to chose from a low milage c60 that hasnt been on the road in 20 years a IH that is now my winch truck that i was going to replace with the c70 i bought or a 1961 f600 that i am leaning to it runs good and more important to me its cab is shorter in height and easyer to get in to. I am going to make it hinge so it can lay on the truck frame to go down the road but the cylinders for that will be the last thing i do.IMG_20211020_083622.jpg

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
My older friend (now deceased) was born with too much money to work. He inherited several businesses & others ran them.
He was a dabbler in whatever caught his interest. He bought an ice cream plant & turned it into a machine shop.
At one point he acquired a Ford NAA "Golden Jubilee" tractor with a shop built backhoe. The hoe was too much strain on the old tractor & the differential casting broke. He had a Chevrolet 1950? tow truck with a Holmes twin boom wrecker. After repairing the tractor, he fitted the hoe to the truck. It became his "Tow Hoe".

At one point, he made a half a$$ed effort at digging a sewer line to his man cave. It was too shallow, & I had to dig it deeper with my Case 580K.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I dug in a 3/4" gas line with mine. In places it was 3' deep. It would have been smarter to rent a trencher. That 2' bucket was not necessary. I am still packing in the soft spots years later.

Old Doug

I just sold one yesterday.
Dang now that makes me want to mount it on my IH. Do i see right it has only one cylinder to stow it on back of the truck? I think i like the seat moving with the boom. Thanks the picture has helped me alot.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Yes, 1 cylinder folds it up. There are 2 chains to keep the boom from flopping left and right. One has slotted holes both ends the other has a slotted hole 1 end and a screw crank the other end to tighten it up for transport. The thing is at least 12 feet high when stowed. The seat did swing with the boom. I did not notice a whole lot of difference with that way of doing things vs the backhoe way of sitting still.

Old Doug

I am getting ready to start on my truck hoe. Can some one tell me what the distance is from the ground to the bottom of the hoe unit is on a case like this? I am thinking about building a air ride or a diffrent spring set up all together. I would remove rear end chop of the rear of the frame and mount new suspension so i would have zero over hang behind axle and have full frame not the neck down over the axle frame rails.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I am getting ready to start on my truck hoe. Can some one tell me what the distance is from the ground to the bottom of the hoe unit is on a case like this? I am thinking about building a air ride or a diffrent spring set up all together. I would remove rear end chop of the rear of the frame and mount new suspension so i would have zero over hang behind axle and have full frame not the neck down over the axle frame rails.

I can't say until I measure, I've had 5 backhoes, two John Deere, Three Case. I'll say they were near identical, 12" under the swing tower.

Functional truck mounted were each designed more like a wheeled excavator. They have had a turntable & could swing 360 degrees except for the cab of the truck. I looked at a Power Wagon once, had a grafted hoe from a backhoe. Cliff had his "Tow Hoe". They didn't work real well.
The only functional truck mounted was on a military surplus 6x6. George Connors did quite a number of cellar holes, & other homesite septic & other work when I was a child (mid sixties). If I recall, his was a Bantam. It had its own engine.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Why those are compact/and early compact money makers. The Gibson is a early Toro Dingo.
Neighbor got a belly blade for his Farmall Cub. I thought it looked like the sort of thing you could dress a driveway of processed material. WRONG!

A fellow has a tiny Kubota, lawn mower size, with loader & hoe. We used it in 2011 when the flood undermined the "sugar house" I could drive inside with four feet of headroom. In that specialized application, it saved a lot of wheelbarrow work. Otherwise it is best suited for planting posies.

Those tow behind things, I haven't used. I am only looking to the numbers, they weigh nothing. I doubt I could plant potatoes with one.

A collector has a HOP TO DIGGER. It is two tons of trailer backhoe. Likely 1940 vintage. It is set up behind a John Deere crawler (green). I recently heard the story: Austin Rumney married into a family of 5 generations of merchants in the "hardware" business. He wasn't accepted by his in laws, so he busied himself elsewhere. He won a contract with the State of Vermont to install guardrails along Route 30. He was expected to dig post holes 6 feet deep by hand, but he bought the HOP TO instead. Made good money with his labor saver.