• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Truck heating up

63 caveman

14 pages, half way there!

I got one now with over heating under load. Did some testing Monday and could not find any problem in the shop. I will be moving equipment for them today to see if I can duplicate the problem. Fun, fun, and more fun.

suladas

Probably if I was in your shoes I'd try pay him what's he bills minus the machine shop and parts since that was clearly not authorized, and then walk away from this guy with your hands and conscience clean. If he doesn't accept that he messed up by ordering that stuff and eat it then it a impass till someone gives.

I'll think about that, if I thought he'd take $4500 and I take truck as-is and he keeps the parts he supplied i'd probably do it just to end the headache. I also don't believe for a second he has 33 hours into the engine, so it would give him some towards the frame repair which I shouldn't even pay a penny for. And i'd bet he could probably break even on the machining and parts he bought, so in the end he wouldn't even take a loss, probably still make a bit of money overall. Whereas i'd probably not get much over $4500 for the truck and be out quite a bit.

suladas

Well I don't think it's going to matter. Going back and forth and he still can't accept he did anything wrong and wants 100% of the bill, including the parts he bought on his own accord, so i'm not even going to waste my time making any offer. Pounding my head against the wall would do more good then trying to reason with him at this point.

Can't get a straight answer if he did any troubleshooting or just pulled the head (his estimate says pulled head first thing no checking of anything), or why he went ahead with parts without approval, keeps deflecting to something else.

Welder Dave

Talk to a lawyer ASAP to get some good advice on how to proceed. No point in a bunch more hummin and hawin. I think a letter from a lawyer might tune the guy in even if he doesn't want to admit he screwed up.

suladas

He'd be totally screwed if it turned out it was the compressor after all.

Not in his mind, I guarantee he wouldn't take any blame. It's really got me wondering if the compressor could have been it. I'm sure the head gasket may not have been in great shape, but for all I know it may still have been ok.

suladas

I wonder if I should go the way of getting him to put it back together (assuming he hasn't started to box it up, pretty sure it was a bluff and hasn't done anything yet) his quote says it's only $2300 more in labour, which I could say the truck will be worth that much more easily and we will figure out the bill after. That way it puts the onus on him to get it running and I can easily check the compressor after, and if it is still putting pressure in the coolant and crankcase, he won't see a penny for the engine work. If i'm going to offer like $7-8k, i'd rather pay a bit more and get it back running as it'll be worth more, or I could just run it till it blows. I don't know, I feel like i'm screwed no matter which way I go.

Welder Dave

He's the one who should feel screwed. I think you should get some professional legal advice right away. I wouldn't trust it to be done right at this point.

suladas

He pulled the truck outside today, oddly enough he parked it in my space and has no intention of trying to hold it, and can't put a mechanics lien on it, no idea what his plan is. However no parts with it. Only hood in the box and a few small pieces in the cab. He did seal it up ok, put the oil pan back on and put a piece of cardboard on the block and bolted down spacer plate on top, then covered the whole front end with a tarp. I do have concerns if we get a bunch of snow/rain but for a short while I don't think it's hurting anything. I was hoping the compressor was somewhere, but no dice.

suladas

Cardboard holds water......

For sure, but there is a tarp over the whole front end to protect against water. I don't intend to leave it like that long, I will bring it inside or protect it better if there is any rain/snow in the forecast, but right now there's nothing.

Welder Dave

I'd hazard a guess he's holding the other parts hostage. You can't fix the truck without them so you have no choice but to give him the OK. That might work for him if you had signed a work order and backed out. It's more likely to help you if you filed a destruction of property claim though. You really need to get some legal advice right away. It's Alberta, the weather could get real ugly in a hurry. Enough time has been spent playing games and guessing what the guy is up to. You need to put some real pressure on him. You don't want this thread to compete with the D6C loss of oil pressure thread for best comedy award in the equipment repair category.

Last edited:

suladas

I'd hazard a guess he's holding the other parts hostage. You can't fix the truck without them so you have no choice but to give him the OK. That might work for him if you had signed a work order and backed out. It's more likely to help you if you filed a destruction of property claim though. You really need to get some legal advice right away. It's Alberta, the weather could get real ugly in a hurry. Enough time has been spent playing games and guessing what the guy is up to. You need to put some real pressure on him. You don't want this thread to compete with the D6C loss of oil pressure thread for best comedy award in the equipment repair category.

I don't think i'd get any other advice aside from the legal route is long and expensive, best to try and settle it amicably. I'm thinking i'll try once more to see what his plan is and if any budging to try and resolve, if not i'll remove box send the truck to auction and sell box privately, and if he wants to try and come after me for his bill i'll deal with it then.

Welder Dave

It costs nothing to get a consultation with a lawyer. Call the law society of Alberta and they will give you a list of 3 lawyers who deal with your type of issues and provide a free 1/2 hour consultation. The guy is clearly in the wrong. It would cost him a lot to hire a lawyer and a lawyer may tell him he is clearly in the wrong and has no defence. I'm not sure if commercial vehicle repair shops have to be Amvic licensed. You might want to contact them because they have specific rules repair shops must abide by. If this shop previously missed the cracked frame or anything else is in the CV inspection their license to do inspections could be on the line. It' not a bad idea to get legal advice and it's a lot better than guessing and assuming what the guy will do. Bare truck with bad engine and/or an engine pulled apart with key parts missing, you'd be lucky to get $1000 for it from what I've seen at auctions. Probably a lot less. It appears you may be second guessing yourself and it's playing with your mind. If everything you've posted is the truth, the guy did not have authorization to take your truck apart, order parts or do any repairs. That's pretty cut and dry. How can he have a defence without any signed or otherwise authorization to proceed? It's in your best interests to get professional advice unless you like throwing thousands of dollars away.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
So you have the truck without a rad or head?
Go get a used engine complete and a rad and drop them in. In a weekend you’re up and running.

Welder Dave

So you have the truck without a rad or head?
Go get a used engine complete and a rad and drop them in. In a weekend you’re up and running.
I agree with this and suggested a used engine early in this thread but he was worried about warranty on a used engine. He might have a case for destruction of property too. That's why I think some legal advice would be beneficial.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I agree with this and suggested a used engine early in this thread but he was worried about warranty on a used engine. He might have a case for destruction of property too. That's why I think some legal advice would be beneficial.
I was looking in salvage yards for parts a while back. A lot of them do seem to have a short warranty period. Sounds like the bigger places run the engine out of frame to check that it runs ok and has decent oil pressure. Doesn't hurt to ask anyways.

cfherrman

It would take 5-15k from a lawyer to get $1 out of anyone.

I do agree on a free consultation especially to protect yourself from getting sued as well.

He still has that "$3000" machining bill, that I suspect never happened, that will eat his his wallet.

Wait this one out or even toss a salvage yard engine in.