• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Truck frame

Old Doug

I want or need a trailer to haul scrap iron. I want ether a 16-2? foot pintle or a 25+ foot gooseneck. For the 4000.00 or more i was thinking about building one.I dont haul alot of weight mainly bulky junk 5 ton or less. I have several junk trucks and have thought about useing the frame and springs with one 10.000 pound axle. But i have thought this and was told the frames are so flexable it wouldnt work good.

Tenwheeler

I am not so sure about that. Look at the way Big Tex puts a triangle off the neck to the outside rail on each side. That would help. One I built from a C10. With a fair load it would rock side to side with a bump. It was bad. Would have been better off with the axle attached rigid to the frame. There is a single axle lowboy around here like that. It works fine.
This one was made from scrap about 15 years ago. The neck used to be a KW. I thank the leg and the hitch cost about $300. It is very stable. Wish I had put a pintel hitch on it as it normally used with a large farm tractor. Use the tractor hydraulics to dump it. Try to keep it pretty level dumping but never had a concern about frame twist. Saw one similar behind a tandem dump in Oklahoma. KIMG1354.jpeg

Old Doug

I have a truck frame that has a i think 20' bed. I was thinking about replaceing the axle with one that has 16" tires useing the same springs then removeing the beds runners and seting the bed down on the frame.It would be a pintel hitch. I cleaned up a junkyard tor a older guy that said he built a trailer from truck frame and loaded something heavy on one side he said it flexed bad but came back strait when he unloaded it. He never used it after that. I worked for a guy that had a lowboy style trailer that was a pintel hitch with one axle made from a one ton rear end. Its axle was welded to the frame.

Tenwheeler

The springs on a 20 foot bed truck and an axle with 16 inch tires will probably not like each other.
Did the frame flex or the springs?
I saw the drop deck I mentioned earlier today. It was made in the 70's and was pulling a JCB loader. Suppose that replaced the Cat 920 that was replaced by the JD 444 replaced by the Cat extendable boom thing ( 320? ). Forgot about the IHC loader. Thank it was a 515. Just to say I tank I would put it rigid to the frame.