• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

truck cranes

marty

in australia here, we usually have them mounted centre front/back of a truck, but i've seen them on here on service trucks mounted on one side, and they lookm like they're just mounted on a box, just wondering what are the advantages of this and who sells them, as i'm setting my own truck up at the moment

cheers fellas :D

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I assume you are referring to a hydraulic "foldable" crane, what the Americans refer to as a knuckleboom - correct..?
Or are you thinking about something about 1 ton capacity that's normally found on something like a Ford F550 service truck body ..?

If the first, we mount them either front or rear, that gives you the maximum amount of bed length all in one hit to carry materials. If you plan to have stuff hanging over the back any time, then a front-mounted crane is the only way to go.
If the second, they are usually mounted on one or other of the rear corners, the service truck body is specifically strengthened at that corner for the crane, there is a great big post hidden under all the bodywork.

marty

I assume you are referring to a hydraulic "foldable" crane, what the Americans refer to as a knuckleboom - correct..?
Or are you thinking about something about 1 ton capacity that's normally found on something like a Ford F550 service truck body ..?

If the first, we mount them either front or rear, that gives you the maximum amount of bed length all in one hit to carry materials. If you plan to have stuff hanging over the back any time, then a front-mounted crane is the only way to go.
If the second, they are usually mounted on one or other of the rear corners, the service truck body is specifically strengthened at that corner for the crane, there is a great big post hidden under all the bodywork.

cheers nige,
yeah i was refering to a 'knuckle boom', i can see there would be a lot of body work under the box, just wondering what way i should go, i've seen the ones like tomV's and was just wonding how they would go compaired to a knuckle boom

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Being from the UK I prefer a knuckle boom any day. It's more flexible in what it can do and you have the added advantage that you can pull & push with it that you can't do with a boom truck as the Americans refer to them. Normally a knuckle boom comes complete with it's own "sub-chassis" that pretty much bolts straight on to the chassis of the truck on which it's being mounted. My only recommendation for the truck chassis would be that if it is not already double-plated or reinforced for tipper use then that ought be done before installing the crane. Cranes put a fair amount of stress on the truck chassis.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Choice of cranes would depend on - how much you needed to lift; the reach you require for the load; crane mounting would depend on your load space area on your truck body; & of course, how many dollars you want to spend.

Pic shows one of my setups,
positives are - the crane to the side gives more bench space & room to carry engines, axles, transmissions etc.
Negative is weight on one side of the rear - we just had the springs reset to level things up .......
BTW that little Palfinger is supposed to lift 1.9T @ 1M - I have lied to it a couple of times :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 1455B transmission(Small).jpg
    1455B transmission(Small).jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,488
Last edited:

Dualie

I think hes talking about the auto crane, or stellar cranes mounted on service body's.

marty

Choice of cranes would depend on - how much you needed to lift; the reach you require for the load; crane mounting would depend on your load space area on your truck body; & of course, how many dollars you want to spend.

Pic shows one of my setups,
positives are - the crane to the side gives more bench space & room to carry engines, axles, transmissions etc.
Negative is weight on one side of the rear - we just had the springs reset to level things up .......
BTW that little Palfinger is supposed to lift 1.9T @ 1M - I have lied to it a couple of times :rolleyes:

thats basically what i'm talking about arlman, same brand i was looking at too, do you have stablisers on both sides of your truck and also what size truck i that

Taylor95042

Occupation
Heavy equipment mech.
003.JPG

This is a pic of my crane, the box on which it is mounted is reinforced. I like it alot I have yet to have a job it cant handle, It is a Stellar 10,620lb

Last edited:

TozziWelding

Occupation
Welder/Equipment Repair
My AutoCrane is mounted on a 3/4" plate on top of a reinforced box. I like having a cable on the crane, makes life easier than just a boom.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
thats basically what i'm talking about arlman, same brand i was looking at too, do you have stablisers on both sides of your truck and also what size truck i that

I only have the stabilizer that is seen in the picture. That truck is a little Ford 0409 (Mazda T3500).
Depending on the age of the crane you buy, they have different mounting designs. That one has what I call a block for it's base, that has to fit into a socket/adapter that has to be 'built' into the chassis of the vehicle.
Later models have a flat base with 4 bolts which must be fitted to a subframe - strong enough for the job. I have one of these also fitted to an Isusu NPR 450.
I helped fit the Palfinger & fitted the later HI-Ab to the Isuzu. ( that's the only pic I have of the crane in action)
AS you can see I put the controls & pump under the tray - keeping the workspace/bench clear.

First thing for you to do, is figure what you want, get a crane & make a plan to fit up. I looked under a few trucks that had what I wanted & gleaned some ideas for the mounting. Do you have a tray truck or a body?
I bought both of my cranes second hand, as you already know by now, they are pretty pricey........

Attachments

• lift 002 - Copy.jpg
    lift 002 - Copy.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 1,113
Last edited:

marty

View attachment 91954

This is a pic of my crane, the box on which it is mounted is reinforced. I like it alot I have yet to have a job it cant handle, It is a Stellar 10,620lb

mate, i would love to have a set up like that, might be a bit out of my buget though

My AutoCrane is mounted on a 3/4" plate on top of a reinforced box. I like having a cable on the crane, makes life easier than just a boom.

cheers tozzi, its good to get a reply off another welder, thats mainly what it will be used for, plus a few other mechanical jobs

I only have the stabilizer that is seen in the picture. That truck is a little Ford 0409 (Mazda T3500).
Depending on the age of the crane you buy, they have different mounting designs. That one has what I call a block for it's base, that has to fit into a socket/adapter that has to be 'built' into the chassis of the vehicle.
Later models have a flat base with 4 bolts which must be fitted to a subframe - strong enough for the job. I have one of these also fitted to an Isusu NPR 450.
I helped fit the Palfinger & fitted the later HI-Ab to the Isuzu. ( that's the only pic I have of the crane in action)
AS you can see I put the controls & pump under the tray - keeping the workspace/bench clear.

First thing for you to do, is figure what you want, get a crane & make a plan to fit up. I looked under a few trucks that had what I wanted & gleaned some ideas for the mounting. Do you have a tray truck or a body?
I bought both of my cranes second hand, as you already know by now, they are pretty pricey........

i have a isuzu 5 ton with just a chassis, i'm building my own tray and trailer as we speak, and i know what you're talking about price, but manheims have a few going up next week that i'm going to have a go at, the only problem with them i they're former mine cranes and they're at rockhampton, which is a couple of hrs drive from here