• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

truck advise

dzlnut

so my brother & I own a used car dealership.

I am looking to put a semi truck in the inventory & use it to haul my stuff for personal use until it sells

Does anyone have experience with this scenario in CA? (if so that would awesome)

So what I am wondering is do I just throw a dealer license plate on the truck & roll or do I have to do all of the stuff that is required for a "motor carrier" because I am not a motor carrier

MC #
USDOT #
CA #
Enroll in BIT program
Enroll in EPN program
& other requirements as a "motor carrier"

here is what the DMV dealer handbook says

Use of special plates

Special plates issued to dealers may be used for any purpose, including pleasure, provided the vehicle is in the dealer’s inventory for sale and is used only by the firm owners of the dealership or is leased to vehicle salespersons. Special plates may not be used on work or service vehicles (see use of special plates memo issued to all dealers dated December 23, 1983). Special plates are not provided to lessor-retailers.

TCS

Unless you have other equipment that requires a CDL license,an air brake endorsement,drug program or other DOT compliance mandates associated with a CDL/heavy truck,I would most definately stay lightweight and non-CDL. Trust me,running heavy trucks for over 40 years you do not need those headaches and they are only getting worse.

As far as the truck itself? Freightliner,Ford,Chevy and GMC are all good for what you need,with a mid-range diesel,automatic transmission and hydraulic brakes. I would prefer a Cummins or CAT engine because of their durability and stay away from Duramax unless you are trading it before the warranty is up as the parts for them are very expensive and at times hard to get.

dzlnut

I would really like to use a big truck if I can. The medium dutys dont work that great on these hills / mountains.

I already have my class A with air brakes

If you click on the link below & click on the interstate truck drivers guide to HOS on the page # 2 it talks about HOS exemptions for personal use.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/topics/hos/index.htm

I know that your not required to comply with Hours of service requirements when your hauling personal property

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=390.3

The rules in § 390.3 General applicability dont apply when your hauling your own personal property not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise.

cranky

Hey, In Calif you are screwed any way you try it. I have heard more than once about using a truck for private use thinking MC can be avoided. The first time you roll past a scale without stopping ,your done. Especially as a dealer using the same truck repeatedly with dealer plates. Do yourself a favor and stay under 26000 LB and avoid the headache!

TCS

Here in Ct whether you are hauling your personal property or nothing at all,if the truck is CDL required and apportioned or registered commercial.....You are in for the complete dance.

cranky

I would really like to use a big truck if I can. The medium dutys dont work that great on these hills / mountains.

I already have my class A with air brakes

If you click on the link below & click on the interstate truck drivers guide to HOS on the page # 2 it talks about HOS exemptions for personal use.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/topics/hos/index.htm

I know that your not required to comply with Hours of service requirements when your hauling personal property

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=390.3

The rules in § 390.3 General applicability dont apply when your hauling your own personal property not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise.

Your Main issue is that you CANNOT register a CDL vehicle for occasional personal use. The only way I see it is to put it in non-op and get a day use permit to move the vehicle. As long as you have insurance liability coverage you might be OK.

dzlnut

The vehicle is owned by the dealership,its in its inventory & would have a dealer's license plate on it.

The verbiage below doesn't restrict the dealer plate use for CDL vehicle thats why I dont see what the problem would be. I am following the rules for a dealer from the dealer handbook.

Use of special plates (From the DMV dealer handbook)

Special plates issued to dealers may be used for any purpose, including pleasure, provided the vehicle is in the dealer’s inventory for sale and is used only by the firm owners of the dealership or is leased to vehicle salespersons. Special plates may not be used on work or service vehicles (see use of special plates memo issued to all dealers dated December 23, 1983). Special plates are not provided to lessor-retailers.

Last edited:

TCS

It seems as if you are asking questions about something you think you know the answers to but are not sure.Believe me,when it comes to any laws concerning trucks I would not count on any 1983 law being current law or any law more than two years old for that matter. My best advice to you is to ask a Ca. truck cop or call the proper Ca. authorities. The only thing I know for sure is what you are proposing would not work in the Northeast.

cranky

Well then under those perimeters it would be legal but i would bet that you will still be called in at the scales or questioned roadside by the CHP if they stop you for carrying without authority. So ,if I were you, I would carry that verbiage regarding dealer plates with you at all times so you can make your case if need be!
The vehicle is owned by the dealership,its in its inventory & would have a dealer's license plate on it.

The verbiage below doesn't restrict the dealer plate use for CDL vehicle thats why I dont see what the problem would be. I am following the rules for a dealer from the dealer handbook.

Use of special plates (From the DMV dealer handbook)

dzlnut

Well then under those perimeters it would be legal but i would bet that you will still be called in at the scales or questioned roadside by the CHP if they stop you for carrying without authority. So ,if I were you, I would carry that verbiage regarding dealer plates with you at all times so you can make your case if need be!

Yeah I would carry all that documentation & the HOS guide to interstate drivers.

shopguy

so my brother & I own a used car dealership.

I am looking to put a semi truck in the inventory & use it to haul my stuff for personal use until it sells

Does anyone have experience with this scenario in CA? (if so that would awesome)

So what I am wondering is do I just throw a dealer license plate on the truck & roll or do I have to do all of the stuff that is required for a "motor carrier" because I am not a motor carrier

MC #
USDOT #
CA #
Enroll in BIT program
Enroll in EPN program
& other requirements as a "motor carrier"

here is what the DMV dealer handbook says

Use of special plates

What part of may not be used on work or service vehicle did i miss ?

dzlnut

a work or service vehicle would be vehicle that is not for sale & would be used to pickup parts, tow vehicles & similar activities

cranky

Just remember that DOT are always up for a roadside challenge of this sort and it can get real ugly real fast if things don't go their way. May be finding the nicest,quiet route to do your thing and the encounter may never happen hopefully. Good luck!

dzlnut

Just remember that DOT are always up for a roadside challenge of this sort and it can get real ugly real fast if things don't go their way. May be finding the nicest,quiet route to do your thing and the encounter may never happen hopefully. Good luck!

I always have that thought at the back of mind....I know some very quiet routes & their aren't any scales in the areas Im traveling.

tbone1471

I can give you my personal experience although it is in pa, de, md. I picked up a truck for personal use 55000gvw. Registered personal had to get ifta to travel in multiple states. You will have to stop at weigh stations and they will pull you in for inspection... every time. Then it is a matter of who is doing your inspection. The first time I had to go through this was in md. I called the scale house before I went by to make sure I was ok and had everything. The officer I spoke with said I was good.... Well the office doing the inspection was not satisfied and gave me a level 2. Kept asking me what my company name was because the PADOT told me to not put any lettering on the truck. He put my given name on the inspection report.

Eventually after the inspection and holding me for over an hour the supervisor came out and spoke with the inspecting officer and myself then said I was good to go as I did not have to abide by DOT regulations. It was a little outrageous. The officer wanted to give me a warning for my pintle eye being a little warn. Which I can understand, I know they were just doing their job and I appreciate what they do because it keeps a lot of junk off the road. Once they realized I was the one that had called to make sure I was following maryland law they went from a professional "this is how it is attitude" to being incredibly friendly.

It all depends on who stops you and if they know the law. Maryland tends to be pretty hard on trucks but I'm sure no where near as bad as CA. I can't give any experience on dealer plates but I imagine it would be more so of a pain than having a personal class 8 truck. Expect to spend a lot of time with inspection officers and in court if they don't know the law... Best of luck