• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trojan 2000

rabbit

Occupation
Plumbing and Exavation Contractor
Looks like a very clean machine and its in great shape, has it been repainted?

No didn't have time to repaint. This machine spends its time by itself out at our pit about 20 miles from town and dosent want to impress anyone.

:) :usa

derekbroerse

Very nice, you and I have the exact same machine but yours is a lot cleaner than mine. My brakes suck, haven't really looked in to them yet. What did you do with yours?

I understand they are air-over-hydro? Not sure how that all works yet, I found what looks like a master cylinder under a cover in the floor by the drivers left foot but it has no lid on it and no fluid in it(lots of dry rust tho)--yet the brakes work... so I'm confused.

Do you know what year your machine is, or how to decode the serial number?

Mine needs some work including rebuilding the lift cylinders and a leaky wheel hub... poor-but-working brakes... I just installed four brand new batteries (dealer had them on sale, score!) the day before yesterday, made up some copper bus bars for them rather than cables. When I got it, it had two poorly wired together... mismatched old truck batteries. One died and was killing the other and boosting got old in a hurry.

I bought the machine for snow removal... if you have any advice for me I'd certainly appreciate it.

Derek

rabbit

Occupation
Very nice, you and I have the exact same machine but yours is a lot cleaner than mine. My brakes suck, haven't really looked in to them yet. What did you do with yours?

I understand they are air-over-hydro? Not sure how that all works yet, I found what looks like a master cylinder under a cover in the floor by the drivers left foot but it has no lid on it and no fluid in it(lots of dry rust tho)--yet the brakes work... so I'm confused.

Do you know what year your machine is, or how to decode the serial number?

Mine needs some work including rebuilding the lift cylinders and a leaky wheel hub... poor-but-working brakes... I just installed four brand new batteries (dealer had them on sale, score!) the day before yesterday, made up some copper bus bars for them rather than cables. When I got it, it had two poorly wired together... mismatched old truck batteries. One died and was killing the other and boosting got old in a hurry.

I bought the machine for snow removal... if you have any advice for me I'd certainly appreciate it.

Derek

Derek: The brakes are the reason we had it in the shop. Yes they are air over hydraulic. When I bought it the previous owner told me it never had much in the way of brakes. So they never used them. Their pit is very level but at my place we are on a hill and brakes are a necessity. So I had them repaired. Some where leaking at the seals and there were some broken lines. I still have an air leak to fix but we can use it the way it is.
More later.

rabbit

Occupation
The Trojan 2000, mine is approx. 1968 or 1969 according to the book I have. Serial number 66-2121.
I just looked thru my parts book and I think you'll find there are two master cylinders for the brakes. One for the front and one for the rear.

Wow four batteries? What engine do you have? Mine has the 4-71 Detroit. Interesting you want it to push snow. Well with that big bucket it should do it pretty well. Only it is not fast. The hydraulics are the only thing that will slow you down. Depends how much snow and how far you have to push it. My road is 2.5 miles long and I have a full size Huber grader. About the size of a Cat 14. Takes me 2 hours to blade the snow off. It also has a 4-71 Detroit engine.

I'm going to send a picture of the front end with the wheel off and brakes exposed if it will help you. If you need more info I have the parts book and service manual I could look something up for you.

derekbroerse

Thanks for the reply. I'll get some pix and the serial number tomorrow in the daylight.

Mine also has the 4-71 Detroit. Four batteries because I really want to guarentee that she'll fire up in the middle of a blizzard! :D Also, the dealer had them on sale for $90 each so it seemed like cheap insurance... maybe I got a little carried away but that's the most that would fit in the battery compartment!

I bought a brand new 14' snow pusher box for it. It's going to be used in wide open parking lots. I don't think it will be tooooo slow as we don't usually get a lot of deep snow, so its more for moving over a lot of ground. Stacking can be done later if necessary, so I don't think the slow hydro's will be a big issue either.

I think my biggest concerns are the brakes freezing up. I'm going to replace the bypassed air dryer, $200 at the local truck parts supplier. It's universal, so hopefully it will work out... chase a few air leaks while I'm in there....

I also want to add a remote ether setup. Quickstart has been giving me the run around for two monthes, is there another company I should be dealing with?

That picture is interesting, thanks, my right front hub is leaking a little bit and I wasn't sure what to expect in there. Is there a seal of some sort? Or just a gasket/silicone?

nedly05

Thanks for the reply. I'll get some pix and the serial number tomorrow in the daylight.

Mine also has the 4-71 Detroit. Four batteries because I really want to guarentee that she'll fire up in the middle of a blizzard! :D Also, the dealer had them on sale for $90 each so it seemed like cheap insurance... maybe I got a little carried away but that's the most that would fit in the battery compartment!

I bought a brand new 14' snow pusher box for it. It's going to be used in wide open parking lots. I don't think it will be tooooo slow as we don't usually get a lot of deep snow, so its more for moving over a lot of ground. Stacking can be done later if necessary, so I don't think the slow hydro's will be a big issue either.

I think my biggest concerns are the brakes freezing up. I'm going to replace the bypassed air dryer, $200 at the local truck parts supplier. It's universal, so hopefully it will work out... chase a few air leaks while I'm in there....

I also want to add a remote ether setup. Quickstart has been giving me the run around for two monthes, is there another company I should be dealing with?

That picture is interesting, thanks, my right front hub is leaking a little bit and I wasn't sure what to expect in there. Is there a seal of some sort? Or just a gasket/silicone?

Ut oh ATCO isn't gonna like to read that LOL!

derekbroerse

Uhh who? And why?

I've only had the machine for two months and haven't had it apart yet, so I don't know what to expect. Since his is/was apart I figured it would be a good thing to ask beforehand...

rabbit

Occupation
Uhh who? And why?

I've only had the machine for two months and haven't had it apart yet, so I don't know what to expect. Since his is/was apart I figured it would be a good thing to ask beforehand...

I sent a message to ATCO. I think he will be able to help you with the mechanical questions more than I.

;) :usa

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Ut oh ATCO isn't gonna like to read that LOL!

Bah ha ha ha ha hahaha. :lmao

Dang guys, had internet problems tonight, just now getting on here. LoL. Honestly, I know so little about loaders I hadn't even checked this thread yet, but I'm glad rabbit sent me a PM, looks like it could get interesting in here working on two machines. ;)

Silicone? Yes, a bit of a peave of mine. Not that I don't like it. It's just that it drives me absolutely back flips when some jack nut wrench twister DOESN'T APPLY IT PROPERLY! LMAO.

Nedly, me thinks I'm going to have to post a thread in shop talk of the do's and don't with RTV silicone.

Oh, 4 batteries to start a 4-71? I'm impressed! Shouln't have cranking problems now. You should be able to obtain an ether injection system from any truck parts supplier, or if you have an equipment junkyard near you, a lot of machines have an ether system, you might find one at a good price. I found this on the internet, don't know anything about them, but you might give them a look.

http://www.koldban.com/?gclid=CLqX34LxhaUCFYdX2godSFLTOw

Keeps us posted with the repairs guys. :)

rabbit

Occupation
Trojan Loader

"That picture is interesting, thanks, my right front hub is leaking a little bit and I wasn't sure what to expect in there. Is there a seal of some sort? Or just a gasket/silicone?"

There are seals and a gasket. Looking at the parts book now, if your leaking gear oil looks like your going to go farther in than I did to get to that final seal. All work done on this machine was at the local Caterpillar dealer. That was before I got it.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Can't say for certain, but being a "dirt machine", it's a good be the drive hub is sealed by a floating seal where it meets the axle housing. If that's the type of seal it has, if it's leaking...only going to get worse. :)

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Trojan 2000:

ATCO said:
If that's the type of seal it has, if it's leaking...only going to get worse.
Yup... they never get better, by themselves, ATCO... ;)

You might have a 'Heavy Duty Face Seal'... also known as ©Duo-Cone, and various other trade names, rabbit.

If you do... you will probably need a tool, specific to that particular seal... they're not the most fun thing to install, either.

Here is a Reference Manual, that might be of some help, rabbit.

http://www.partsfinder.ca/parts/seals/duocone/manual/

Hope it helps, anyway....

OCR... :)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
also known as ©Duo-Cone, and various other trade names

Yup, such as "floating seal". LoL :tong

To clarify, my comment of "only going to get worse" was not to imply that other types of seals (lip seals, two piece seals) fair longer when they start to weep/leak, far from it. My comment was specifically related to floating seals (face seals, duo cone, etc.), it's in reference of the design of the seal. Once it starts to leak; it's done, finished, worn out, shot, end of its journey, beyond hope, FUBAR. Bah ha ha ha haha :D

BTW, nice link OCR. ;)

rabbit

Occupation
Thanks for the good info. You guys are great.

derekbroerse

Ugh I'll be back in a few days. Switched my crappy but reliable Dialup Internet for Rogers Wireless Highspeed and it's been nothing short of a disaster. Shipped to me with a cell phone SIM card instead of a net sim, then once I had it running it promptly burnt out the new router. Waiting ever since for a new unit to be delivered... on a borrowed dial up connection just to check my mail.

Wish me luck :S