• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trojan 1700Z with Deutz 5FL912

chansey

Occupation
Retired Project Engineering Manager
Hi All,

I have a 1989 1700Z Trojan Loader with a 5FL912 with a rod knock. Loader has good power. When initially started, there is no knock. Seems as that as the oil warms up, the knock starts and the knock becomes worse. I had the injectors rebuilt because I felt as though the engine was not running smoothly. One was stuck open.

Engine is a 2006 replacement, by previous owner.

Decided to pull the engine. Have an issue getting the engine separated from the ZF transmission. Access cover on left side is off and there is a 4"X4" chassis frame post that is 2" away from the opening and can barely get my hand in to touch the bolts let alone get a wrench on it. Doesn't have any other opening for access. Pulling the transmission with the engine is a real bear because of the tight work space.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Paul

chansey

Occupation
Found solution to the nut removal on the Deutz 5FL912.

Had a curved set of metric wrenches and I was able to engage one tooth of the wrench on the nut and turn it just enough to engage the next tooth. Total of 8 nuts and almost 6 hours later they were out.

Pulled the crank out and #3 rod was toast. One bolt was laying in the oil pan and looked like it had never been used. The other was really bent. The rod had the bearing welded to it. The crank is not gouged ..... journal is dark from heat ..... maybe salvageable. The rest of the rods and mains looked like new and almost no no wear on the bearings. Going to machine shop on Monday.

Paul

chansey

Occupation
Deutz Crankshaft

Does anyone have a source for rod and main bearings that are 5-6mm oversize?

How about a crankshaft?

Paul

chansey

Occupation
Thanks for the offer to help locate parts for the F5L912 ser#6771962. The crank grind and bearings are being handled by Knighton's MACHINE IN Albuquerque, NM. The piston and head on on #3 cylinder looks like some one took a hammer and heavy punch and smacked the two pieces hard deep random center punches. Did not find metal floating around and the valves and injector were undamaged. Anyone know what would cause this?

Need motor mounts for the engine and all 4 for the transmission

Also need the 3 drive plates from flywheel to torque converter.

Thanks .... Paul

lantraxco

Make sure they test that throw for hardness when they're done grinding, heat will often soften a crankshaft, been there, learned that. I don't know about all the metal indents but it may well be from excess compression caused by the piston being closer to the head at TDC. You mentioned the rod bearing was welded to the rod, was it by chance one half rolled up on top of the other? I've had them do that and on some engines the piston actually slaps the head.

chansey

Occupation
Thanks for the heads up om the hardness.

The upper shell was more than 50% weld to the rod, the lower half was paper thin and just fell out.

There is no wall scoring and the , almost now ware lip on the cylinder. The #3 cylinder rings were in tack except for the upper compression ring which was cracked but was still together.

Thanks for the help

lantraxco

The broken top ring to me is another clue that she was travelling too far. Even with all that compression, I suspect that as things got loose, with the inertia of the piston and rod travelling upwards that the piston managed to get a lost closer to the head than it was supposed to. When the fuel hit, with the air so hot it probably was exploding with some force, might have been what caused those marks. Of course I could be all wet too, lol.

chansey

Occupation
The crank cleaned up at .020 on the rods and .010 on the mains. Thought it was going to be worse because of the way it looked.

I will be about $1000 into the rebuild -- not that bad I suppose.

Paul

chansey

Occupation
Just a little update on the Trojan loader.

I have all the parts to rebuild the F5L912. New Mains and rod bearings, new rings, one new piston and rod, reground crank and all injectors rebuilt.

I had a Reviva 4BT, 130 HP engine that I was saving for my 1942 G506 1-1/2 ton Chevy Truck. The engine is equipped with an SAE #2 flywheel housing and flywheel.

I had previously considered installing the 4BT as I would gain 37 additional HP and parts are readily available. My concerns were as with any repower of a piece of equipment, how much additional work is required and how many more $$$$$$ will I put into it. I have to adapt the SAE #2 flywheel housing to the SAE #3 Allison transmission mount and find a way to install a flexplate.

Today I made a decision, the 4BT is going into the loader.

Purchased an adapter ring from SAE #2 to SAE #3 for $75.00 from C and C Truck Parts. Will be using the OEM flexplates (3 pcs) designed for the Allison. Took the SAE #2 flywheel to a local machine shop to have the 8 holes for the flexplate drilled and tapped for 8 studs. Won't have the problem I had removing the flexplate the first time, the Cummins flywheel housing has an access hole.

As for the air required for the air brakes, the 4BT and 6BT can have an air compressor installed on the LH side just under the fuel injection pump. You can stack additional accessories piggy-back off the same drive. Since the 4BT is strictly mechanical, water temp, oil pressure, turbo lube and ll the other misc items are straight forward.

I will be selling the complete Deutz F5l912 for what I have in it, $1510.00.

I will post a new build thread on here to assist others who may have a similar situation.

Paul

dcomtois

I have a customer interested in your Deutz engine. Is the crank ground to 020m 020rods. Please send a list of the parts you have. Can you ship some parts or entire engine? Finally, how would I go about purchasing? This is my first time on this site. Thanks very much.