• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tricks of the Trade

Watched a hoe operator today load his bucket from the side (loading bucket/digging up towards his right track). Is this common for trenchig or loading out piles? I was always taught to load your bucket facing your idlers. Thoughts guys and girls?

mitch504

Generally, digging over the idlers is preferable. However, if there's a reason to dig over the side, or even over the final drives, I don't hesitate. One time I usually dig over the side is when I'm rolling along cleaning out a ditch.

Mjrdude1

From a maintenance standpoint you should always dig over the idlers versus the final drives. The idlers are designed to take the loading, the finals not so much. I have seen way more than my fair share of failed final drives from our guys digging over them. Especially true when on uneven ground. And if one breaks, the idler is fixed and your back to work in hours, the final will be very expensive and days to repair.