• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tricks and Wrinkles

Scrub Puller

I'm not sure if this is relevant or of interest, but I reckon the readers of these forum posts will have a vast collective knowledge of little tricks and wrinkles they have learned...or had passed on to them from a previous generation.

Little seemingly inconsiquential things (that could make the day a little easier for others) but which they pretty much take for granted....like the old timer who told me way back the only thing I needed to remember when backing a trailer was to turn the BOTTOM of the steering wheel in the direction I wanted the trailer to go.

Simple hey? Beats all those other instructions and, over the years I reckon it has saved a bit of confusion when I have passed it on to learner drivers... they sort of get it straight away.

Another thing, how do you inch a clutch/brake steered power-shift?

A few weeks back I watched a feller loading a Komatsu 65 onto a float (probably a lo-boy to you blokes in the US). Turned out he was pretty much a newbie, had a few hours up on stick shifts but had never driven a torque converter. He walked up the ramps okay and overcentred nice and gentle but it all went a little pear shaped when he tried to line her up.

He needed to move her a tad to the left and went too far and then over corrected a time or two and the truckie (trucker) started yelling. It didn't help that I was watching and I could see he was getting flustered and embarassed but I managed to catch his eye and clambered on up there.

It was an open ROPS I introduced myself and told him I'd been around a little and did he mind if I gave him a couple of pointers. He was a bit resentful at first but he knew he had a problem.

He'd been trying to manouvre at low idle with the left steering clutch pulled back and his foot on the brake and then ease her into gear. That's the hard way, the transmission is either engaged or it's not and it can make for an unpredictable lurch.

I showed him how it was much easier to put foot on left brake, THEN ease the transmission into gear. The engine will load up as the tractor stalls out on the converter and then it's just a matter of feathering that left steering clutch allowing the right track to pick up the slack and ease the nose across in a controllable fashion.

He cottoned on real quick of course and I must say the grin and nod I got when I jumped down kind of made my day.

But then again that's the way everyone does it...isn't it?

That kind of thing, little trick and wrinkles youve picked up across the years.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
well, the best tip i learned was to keep the blade full when trying to grade.
also, the grade stake is not the enemy, don't kill the grade stake.

Turbo21835

To be honest around here, most guys wont pass any tips on. The finish grade guys seem to be the worst about it. If you know their tricks, then you know their job. Therefore, you keep your cards close to your chest, you keep working.

olderndirt

Most guys won't pass along any tips because they don't know how to. They are to busy showing everyone how good they are. Also a lot of folks figure that if they had to learn those tricks the hard way everyone else should too. Very wrong but what can you do?

cummins05

Yep and those are the guys who go home on my jobs i have no time for arogant moody operators. Some guy needs help or a tip to do the job at hand and don't get it. That puts me in a very bad mood cause there is no need for it

indian347

A little help !!!

Back in the early 70's i was fresh out of the Army. The only thing i could operate was a hand shovel . The finish grade operator always would rub it in that he was top man . He was the operator. As i got better i always said that anyone could move one but could you put it to work ! I always hated looking down on the newbe i was there once. Jim

Turbo21835

Yep and those are the guys who go home on my jobs i have no time for arogant moody operators. Some guy needs help or a tip to do the job at hand and don't get it. That puts me in a very bad mood cause there is no need for it

So you mean to tell me that you send home someone who can make your production numbers, because they wont show someone how to do their job?

olderndirt

You do have to be careful who you offer assistance to and how you go about offering it. Some folks let their pride and dignity get in the way and think you are trying to tell them they don't know how to do their job. I'm not trying to defend those who won't offer help, but possibly they've been burned by someone and don't want a repeat performance. If someone asks for help, then by all means give them the help -- don't overdo it -- but help them out.

Grouser

So you mean to tell me that you send home someone who can make your production numbers, because they wont show someone how to do their job?

I say just give up the knowledge you have when asked for help. It always comes back in a positive way even if it means you have to step up your own program because they learn quick!

Probably the most universal tip for me was "it's all in the angle of the dangle" it works for any piece of equipment, loader hands use it when in hard digging for example, you can curl your bucket forward slightly just before it contacts the ground for better cutting ability. The rookies will set the bucket down and then try to roll it forward to cut. Dozer hands are always figuring the angle of the dangle, probably the most basic is penitrating hard soil by tilting your blade and sinking the end bit first and letting the blade pull you into the material. Rookies will try to dig hard material with the dozer square to thier intended pass. Hoe hands keep thier bucket in close when swinging
uphill with a load for example while rookies have it too far away and wonder why it takes so long to get it there . . .

Grouser

You do have to be careful who you offer assistance to and how you go about offering it. Some folks let their pride and dignity get in the way and think you are trying to tell them they don't know how to do their job. I'm not trying to defend those who won't offer help, but possibly they've been burned by someone and don't want a repeat performance. If someone asks for help, then by all means give them the help -- don't overdo it -- but help them out.

Great advice . . .

Johnny English

Occupation
Contracts manager, Civil Engineering contractor
Be confident at all times, if your scared of the machine it'll crucify you. You see too many people at 1/2 revs playing with kit and tickling muck about and wonder why they can't master it.

Pull its lugs back and make it have some, and you'll soon be flying!!!

D6c10K

Be confident at all times, if your scared of the machine it'll crucify you.

I used to train machinists in a shop...one of the first things I'd tell them is that I firmly believe that machines can smell fear...and if you're afraid they will bite you.

bordercollie

Occupation
Dealer service tech with 20 yrs experience,
The first thing to learn is if you are spinning your tracks, all you are doing is wasting time and money
time because you are not pushing product forward
money because you are not going forward with the product
money because wear on traction products
money because of excess fuel usage

now everybody get off their high horse, help out a fellow operator.

I am a mechanic and i do not mind offering my advice or experience

That being said, alot of operators make me money, and on the other hand, alot of them make my day alot easier....
doesn't matter if it is a dozer, excavator, wheel loader,scraper,back hoe or a skid loader

Last edited:

diggerop

Occupation
Plant operator, coal mining/ 25 years
When you have finished a job, any job ,dozer or grader, especially cleaning out a drain and have got the water running and you think " I'll just do one more run/push" DON'T. Even just thinking that somehow invokes Murphys Law and you nearly always stuff it up. :yup:nono

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
I work with my dad whose been eart moving 50 years hes always shared how to do some thing If your willing to listen if your not hed let you fall on your face. Thats a good tip on loading a crawler Thats something dad hinted toward and I found out to use it alot. Just dont look at my post Gotlucky today lol did show anything I learned there lol. My first big job operating without working for dad or brother i was still a fairly new pup to a dozer. I had grown up on a TLB and paddle wheels and loaders. There was an older fella that that worked at a coal mixing yard and kinda was hard headed and taleked down on folks a litt.e We had a WA250 Komatsu tool carrier and were toting forms to a remote pat of the job. Hed try to back drag grass and mud off a spot with a flat bucket. Itold him it would work better if he tilted a good bit to give it bite I wened up replacing him on that and an excavator. He always dug hisself in a corner with a hoe. Also pushing a large cut he woul cut about an inch and move over a blade width each pass. He complained to my boss about me pushing a slot. But I was moving 2 times the dirt i na day with a TD15 and he was on a D7G Also topsoiling a slope ore fine grading an uphill haul road I like to start at the bottom and push up and let the wieght of the machine hold you back alittle seems to work for me and the D5 at work.
I always hated breaking over a bank with a little slop in the blade and trying to push topsoil it always even in first was toos fast going downhill. Plus uphill gives a better feel if I cant work it sideways. I had a jock operator tell me I needed firing for cornering out my clay on a sunbacked clay hil lthat was an old haul road for about 10 years. A D6 couldnt cut it flat bladed and ripper tractors are few here. he Kept at it 2 hours and hadnt cut any thing off the hill I took the D5 and cornered out 10 or 12 furrows with it then got down to moist soil then could rock and roll.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Dont be afraid to ask,........ but think before you ask ;)........... ask the wrong person a dumb question and you will probably get a dumb answer.

9 times out of 10 if you do the following, you will avoid the previous. :)

Keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut! ( I never did master that one :rolleyes: )

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
you got two eyes
you got two ears
you got one mouth
ergo you should look and listen to twice what you say

or if you open your mouth and put your two feet in it remember you haven't a leg to stand on.