• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trenching in drain tile.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
A few years ago i trenched in some 12" tile. The trench was flat bottom 16" wide. We bedded and backfilled with the spoils as best we could.

This summer i dug some of it up and noticed the pipe is ovalling. Not enough to worry yet, but i wouldn't do it that way again.

I was wondering if anyone has thought of using a v bottom bucket for this application. Tile plows create a v bottom trench to nest the pipe. I want to create the same trench bottom with an excavator bucket.

Any thoughts?

Ken
:confused:

Drc

You either need to fabricate a bucket the shape of the tile or go with a wider trench to get bedding to support pipe to springline, the botom half of of the circle.

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
How deep was the tile? We put the tile at the side of the trench bottom for a little better stability.

watglen

Occupation
Thats what we did too JB, but its doesn't seem to give enough support to the pipe. I wouldn't want to charge someone for this.

The people i have talked to mass-excavate down to near grade and use the tile plow to install the pipe. The plow does a proper job of creating the trench bottom, and backfilling. However, sometimes this requires moving entire hilltops so they can drive the tiling machine through. Seems like a huge waste of effort to me.

But i thought i had better ask, before i go spend money on a specialty bucket.

pointrow

Occupation
drainage/farming
You can fabricate a curved flat plate that attaches to the teeth on the bucket. It only needs to fit the bottom half of the tile od. It is important to support the tile at 4 & 8 oclock and cover with dirt of gravel to keep rocks and chunks from damaging the tile.
later
pointrow

bib

Occupation
6th generation repair,excavating,dirt moving haul
Hi that shouldve been fine unless it was shallow and driven over with heavy equipment I live in mn. and only have problems when certain soils are used and or depths and weight of equipment

robin yates uk

in the UK we use a perforated plastic pipe with a flat bottom , this is then covered with pea gravel(river rock I think you call it)We use the smallest bucket available for the width of the plastic drain.Usually 4 to 6 inches of gravel over the top of the pipe

robin yates uk

the pipe I mention was used when I was on the build of the M5 spur road, M54 25 years ago, so not new technology by any means.The back filling has to have gravel in and around the pipe before any spoil can go over it. The drains work perfectly today so a friend informed me. The pipe comes in 6 metre lengths

xcmark

Occupation
construction
3/4 minus around the pipe with a good amount of cover is a must. last year I watched a mixer with 11 yards in it back over a 24" plastic recharge area that only had 24" of crushed stone cover sink right to the frame. then the A hole rocks the truck forward and backwards to ruin another 20' before he gave up and asked for help. the design required 5" of hot top on top of the stone for a drive way.

watglen

Occupation
I was talking to a fellow involved with the tile drain industry for many years. He said that installing tile with a specially shaped excavator bucket is common in the western states and Canada. Not really used in Ontario.

Any idea where i could find some pics of such a bucket?

Ken

daren99

I've heard of guys using a v shaped frost bucket for tile, the would just weld a flat edge over the teeth. Worked pretty good if I remember correctly.

daren99

I also think I remember seeing an 18" bucket a guy cut the bottom out of and welded a split piece if 15" (I think") schedule 80 pipe on the bottom. I think his soils were mostly sand, but it worked good he said.

watglen

Occupation
A fellow sent me some pics of the kind of thing i had in mind. At least now i know its not a crazy idea...

MLICU demo day 016.jpgMLICU demo day 015.jpg

I have enough feet of tile to install that it may warrant buying a bucket specifically for this.

pointrow

Occupation
drainage/farming
That's what you need. Pretty simple to fab and bolt on when it is needed.
later
pointrow