• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trench collapse in my area

Grader4me

I hate to see stuff like that happen. If employers would just take the time to set up these jobs properly...this wouldn't happen. Very sad..

D5G

We just had one not to far from here a couple weeks ago. Yet again, no shoring, no topman to watch the banks. Stupidity kills!

Hendrik

Not sure about other parts of the world but in Oz there OHS laws in place regarding trenches. From memory it's about 4 or 5 feet before you have to shore up the trench, or excavate the shoulders off.
However this is not going to stop some weekend warrior with a back hoe to do the wrong thing.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Not sure about other parts of the world but in Oz there OHS laws in place regarding trenches. From memory it's about 4 or 5 feet before you have to shore up the trench, or excavate the shoulders off.

Yes, here in the US we have quite an extensive procedure mandated by OSHA for trenching, sloping and shoring. If you have some time, take a look at the regulations - http://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/otm_v/otm_v_2.html

this is not going to stop some weekend warrior with a back hoe to do the wrong thing.

I agree, all the best rules and procedures written in this world will not replace common sense and experience on the jobsite.