• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trees, Trees, and More Trees

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Does lighting bake the reson making it difficult to cut like it does with eucalyptus. Iron Bark becomes almost impossible to anything with, won't burn either.

skyking1

We used ironbark for chain guides in the saw mills in the US, it is crazy hard stuff. My dad had 2x6
lignum Vitae
rub rails on his boat. We steamed it for a day and then pulled it around the hull with 3/8" carriage bolts, until it threatened to break the mahogany frames we were pulling on. It never did get tight at the front of the boat and I faired in the gap with epoxy and wood flour.
We pre-shaped a little taper on the top and the bottom and burned up a few saw blades doing it.

John Griffin

A rough terrain crane followed me home the other day. We needed a bigger yard crane to load our gmk counterweights and do other tasks around the shop. We also have jobs we have to turn down because even our gmk wont fit. This will allow us to get into tighter spots at times. Our crane op had to check out the various steering modes on the new crane.

20231006_162810.jpg20231006_162743.jpg20231006_171110.jpg20231006_171039.jpg

John Griffin

A couple of more from the job above. My new guy lost his gloves at our shop before we left. I found them once we got to the job. They stayed there for a 15 mile ride including some interstate.

The other one is just some of the limb wood close up. Far away pictures trying to get the crane in the shot just don't really show how big these trees are very well.

20231102_100210.jpg20231102_093053.jpg

crane operator

I see you have it all lettered up....

I'm horrible about that. I think we've got our name on about 2 cranes. I'd just as soon not have my phone # on it- so I don't get the "I'm behind this huge orange slow crane with 27 other cars- get off the road" phone call.

John Griffin

I see you have it all lettered up....

I'm horrible about that. I think we've got our name on about 2 cranes. I'd just as soon not have my phone # on it- so I don't get the "I'm behind this huge orange slow crane with 27 other cars- get off the road" phone call.

Zero need to letter this one up. It lives at our wood lot out in the country. So far it hasn't been to a jobsite. Everyone that would drive by already knows who I am. It's a dead end road. Probably have worked for at least half of them.

John Griffin

Not quite tree work but still tree work equipment. We put a dump bed on a chassis with the rt crane. Picked it off one chassis and put it on a newer chassis. We didnt want to have to move the crane or the chassis so we stretched it out a bit. 68 ft radius with 94 ft boom.

20240130_150536.jpg