• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Travel alarm not working.

Canadian_digger

How would one test a travel alarm? I have a 2008 John Deere 160D. The alarm has not worked since I got the machine. I checked to make sure it was not unplug, it was still plug in. How would I test the alarm to make sure its not the problem. Would it be 24V?

Thanks for any help.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
The alarm should have the voltage on it.If the machine is 24 then the alarm is.Just test it with a piece of wire from a hot source.I think it will work off a 12 volt batt.For testing.If it works check for fire on the wires.Not sure what turns it on when you travel backward though.Have to get some one to reverse it with key on to test wires.Should not need to start engine for this.

jack345

I use a small 12volt battery ( motorcycle type) . Take both leads off the travel alarm and connect up to new power source . If it works its the wiring,fuse or switch. If it doesn't work its the travel alarm.

eric12

you should look and see if the alarm is 12 or 24 volts, ive seen both on 24 volt machines. then jump it with wires from the battery making sure you use either 12 or 24 volts which ever it needs. if the alarm works it could be a bad wire or a bad sensor. usually you will find the sensor in the hydraulic control valve which is where all the hoses go pretty much. you can test it with an ohm meter and see if it is good or bad. if it is bad replace the sensor and you should be all set.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Have you checked to make sure the alarm is not turned off? I don't know if its the same on Deere excavators but some Cat's I have run have a button on the console next to the seat that allows you to turn the alarm off. Just a thought, always look for the most simple things first.:beatsme

Canadian_digger

Got it fixed. It was the alarm, cost $270:eek:. and the machine only has 1500hrs on it.
Thanks for all the help.