• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Transmissions?

Favorite Transmission?

• Roadranger 13 speed

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Roadranger 15 speed

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Mack Quadruplex

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • 4 or 5 speed main w/ 2, 3, or 4 speed Aux.

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • newer Mack

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Other (explain in comments)

Votes: 17 37.8%

• Total voters

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Just curious about what trans are preferable in what applications and why. Most truckers around here are running 13 speeds, or other Roadrangers, like 10speeds. I think the Mack 12 speed is popular now, too. Just a hypothetical question, if you were spec'ing out a truck (that you had to drive yourself) which transmission would you prefer in, say a triaxle dump? (80000 gross weight). Or a tractor to pull a lowboy? Or pulling a dumptrailer?

Last edited:

Soodude

I prefer the 8LL. In excavation I love the lo lo reduction for walking through a lot of sand, it doesn't seem to wheel hop like the other trannies.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
I prefer the 8LL. In excavation I love the lo lo reduction for walking through a lot of sand, it doesn't seem to wheel hop like the other trannies.

Thanks. I was going to put 8LL in the poll, but I didn't want too many choices, I figured 2 varieties of RoadRanger were enough, lol.

Soodude

In a dump truck I feel it's the only way to go because of the Lo Lo or what I like to call my Go Go through the sand lever.... lol corny I know but it works

Deere500a

Would like to try a 9LL in the dirt 8LL will do.The 4axle dump I'm driving now has the super 13 (hate it on road & off)

Last edited:

Deere500a

^button on the high side,I like to feel it drop in to the hole. Grinding or offroad needs a lower range forward & reverse. Perfer the old Eaton 13spd .

Deere500a

Super 13 lo,1,2,3,4 flip into hi 4 lever + 4button shifts like the super 10 .Buddy has a 10wheeler with the super 13 a relay is out in the trans so the button shift does not sync & grinds pull out put it in neutral flip back,fight it trying to get in gear with out stopping. Fun times using that truck one day

JDOFMEMI

My favorite is what I have in the lowbed truck, a 2000 KW wide nose T-800. It has an 18 sp RoadRanger, and 2 speed rears as well. You can split every gear high side and low, if needed, it has a low-low, that is rarely used except in extreme uses, and when in the hills, drop the rears into low, and mainly just work the high side of the gearbox. It keeps you from needing to continualy split high side to low side.
With the rears in low, it tops out at about 55 in high gear wound out, so it is not road gear. Pop the rears back to high, and it is still an 80+++ truck, best of both worlds.

The only thing better I have seen was an 18 speed like mine with a 4 speed aux behind it.

Trashman

Occupation
Garboligist
Allison 3000 RDS one of the best ever made.:notworthy

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I'll set my fire extinguisher by the laptop and say I would spec/want a Allison 4500 RDS in a tri-axle.:cool:

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
I was just thinking how my baby[8LL] has got some fresh Mobil Delvac juice in her for tomorrow's workout.Love that tranny.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
I have a Freightliner tandem dump truck, Cummins L10, Eaton automatic tranny, 130,000 miles
Yes this is a Eaton automatic, not ultrashift, no clutch pedal
I have owned this truck for about 8 months and it has worked great, until a new driver, forgot to release the parking brake and drugged one set of tires, until it wore them to the rim (about 3 miles) Truck has automatic slack adjusters, so I guess just these two tires were tighter, than the others
Tranny worked good until this problem, now it wants to pause before going in gear, after you get it going it shift to high gear, then it will downshift into first gear and the tranny temp will start running hotter, it has gone to 230 degrees. I had the oil and filter changed in tranny, same thing
There is no one in my area that knows anything about this tranny, I was told the torque converter was messed up, about $4000 just for the torque converter, then labor to change it out and hope there is nothing else wrong, could be $6-8,000
Humm thats alot to invest in a 97, even though its a good truck

No the driver, is not working with me anymore
Anyone have any ideas

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
I agree 100%, but this is one of the first business class cabs and Freightliner told me more than likely I would have to replace the clutch frame member in the dash area and then try to find the correct mechanisms. I have tackled many many issues, but to change that frame in the dash, in all that wiring, is tough to tackle. Im thinking about selling it and letting someone else worry with it, but its a great truck and I just put a barn door kit, on it to haul debris
Well see

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Mack 18 speeds here. Love um

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Right now, I have an 18 speed Fuller with 46,000lb rearends and double lockers. Power is a 550 Cat. I would still prefer a 5x4 for a transmission setup since it is what I grew up on and after all these years it still comes more natural for me. On the highway, I tend to use the 18 speed as a 13 speed, splitting only the upper range. However, on an 18% down grade I like to have the choice to split the lower range. The only time I needed help this winter was on a 6% adverse with a full 105,500 lb load and the cat on the side had to drag me about a half mile in two feet of fresh snow. I might have made it, but why tear up the chains and the drive train to just prove a point?