• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Transmission shift solenoids

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
Does anyone know where you might find some Bicron C2803 12 volt 3386 3 port solenoids for a Clark transmission 9BEA 205172 2-87 Model # 12-9 HR 18 654-1

Nelsonequip

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts & service
Not sure if this could help if not they may know someone place is called Palmer Johnson website is pjpower.com
Hope this helps,
Mike

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
solenoid 2.jpgPulled them all out now, two are bent :confused: how could they get bent when they're in a metal cover ? Unit has done nearly 10,000 hours since rebuild, hard to believe 2 bent solenoids could work for so long :eek:Image0.jpg Nice, Need 3 @ $637.00 AU each:eek::mad: Must be someone in the rest of the world who stocks these that doesn't want your first born!

Last edited:

Nelsonequip

Occupation
637.00 each US dollars ? If so wow
Palmer Johnson help ? If not thought of another place called centranz there on the web,
Mike

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
637.00 each US dollars ? If so wow
Palmer Johnson help ? If not thought of another place called centranz there on the web,
Mike

I've sent an email to both but with the holiday break, will just have to sit and wait. Genuine Clark Equipment parts cost $637.00 here in Australia! Our Australian dollar exchange rate has plummeted to about $00.85c US to $1.00 Australian :( Thanks for the help :)

Nelsonequip

Occupation
I've sent an email to both but with the holiday break, will just have to sit and wait. Genuine Clark Equipment parts cost $637.00 here in Australia! Our Australian dollar exchange rate has plummeted to about $00.85c US to $1.00 Australian :( Thanks for the help :)

Well I hope they get back to you in a reasonable time, allot of these businesses sometimes act like they don't want your business,
Mike

Nelsonequip

Occupation
Especially if you're outside the USA (Does the world stop at the USA border):rolleyes:
I can't believe the amount of companies that are bad about getting back to people, I have that problem all the time, alot of people that I deal with in my business say I was the only one who bothered to call back. Good Luck :Banghead
Mike

Last edited:

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
Just about to a Wally Binghampton

Got my replacement solenoids and fitted them today but still no forward motion :Banghead Out of the ones replaced 2 were bent/crooked and one was getting hot, so I took a punt and replaced all five, machine has 21k hours. Where to go next:confused: I'll pull the battery box out, wholus bolus (in one unit) Aussie slang terminology ;) and pull the selector/brain box off myself. No-one in these parts has a clue on Clark transmissions or even wants to know about them, let alone give a bloke a hand. Thetrouble might be, all that knowledge (the technical people) is gone- retired and or demetia/alseighmers :rolleyes:

Plant Fitter

I presume you checked out the wiring before you replaced all the solenoids?

I dealt with a Clark trans that sounds similar, it was a 3 speed forward 3 speed reverse, and had 5 solenoids.

Testing the memory a bit, but:

The five were:
1. 1st speed
2. 2nd speed
3. 3rd speed
4. Direction
5. Neutral

To get it to drive, it needed power to the neutral solenoid, and a speed solenoid. Putting power to the direction solenoid changed direction. I can't remember which direction needed power to this solenoid.

There should be somewhere to check the pressures to see if the clutch packs are being engaged.

As for anything major, I have never been inside one to see the major workings. You may have a broken shaft or stripped splines if there is no drive.

Sounds like it's hard yakka to find someone who is the full two quid to take a butchers hook when you are on your Pat Malone between woop woop and the black stump?

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
I presume you checked out the wiring before you replaced all the solenoids?

I dealt with a Clark trans that sounds similar, it was a 3 speed forward 3 speed reverse, and had 5 solenoids.

Testing the memory a bit, but:

The five were:
1. 1st speed
2. 2nd speed
3. 3rd speed
4. Direction
5. Neutral

To get it to drive, it needed power to the neutral solenoid, and a speed solenoid. Putting power to the direction solenoid changed direction. I can't remember which direction needed power to this solenoid.

There should be somewhere to check the pressures to see if the clutch packs are being engaged.

As for anything major, I have never been inside one to see the major workings. You may have a broken shaft or stripped splines if there is no drive.

Sounds like it's hard yakka to find someone who is the full two quid to take a butchers hook when you are on your Pat Malone between woop woop and the black stump?

Electrically, to begin with we repaired all damaged wires in the loom, then found the selector had some micro switches in the controller working intermittently. After rebuilding the unit with all new switches, the auto lecky & I checked the circuits to make sure the correct solenoids were getting power. OK. After that removed & tested each solenoid, one getting hot and two were bent in the shaft, so three out five suspect, so replaced the lot.
Today with the reverse solenoid power disconnected, still hits a reverse in low reverse, in forward low it moves forward but feels like fourth but still soft reverse gears in a few forward gears. :confused::mad:A450E Wiring diagram with 5 solenoid trans control.jpg

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
Still not going and getting really frustrated

Pulled the brain off the side after finding some small particles in the suction screen. Had 2 spools tight and not moving, removed and polished them up, refitted with new gaskets that Qld Clark Equipment took a week to send on overnight freight :mad: Refitted the pressure gauge and checked to see if we had pressure in the system, 210 psi, same as its always been.
Still having the same dramas,:(:confused::mad: I'll try the electrics again tommorrow. Cant get a wiring diagram for this controller. It's some oddball set up from Brazil, must have come out a truck. Komatsu wanted $10K for a new one:pointhead:mad: Trans Controller with shift diagram.jpg[ATTACHead
Does anyone have any knowledge of these controllers. I've been trying to fix this machine for months now and not even Clark Equipment is very interested with more than a passing comment. They don't even want to answer the phone let alone an email.
One thing is for sure, I WILL NOT BE BUYING ANY MACHINERY FROM CLARK EQUIPMENT QUEENSLAND

Last edited:

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
None of the USA companies I contacted apart from Wellers responded to my inquiries. American companies must be doing so well financially these days :(

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
??????

View attachment 114747Again, does anyone know about these transmission controllers, please

A little bit of progress, at least I have a part number for the controller 4200386 but no wiring diagram for the actual controller. Unbelievable, controller built by Dana & they have nothing on it :eek:DresserClark trans electrical schematics.jpg
There is power from the controller to the correct solenoids when selected, no voltage drop. Electrically it should work. Two reverse gears work fine but forward low clicks in softly but not enough to drive. Pulled the "brain" off with solenoids attached to check for cleanliness & operation of spools, all fine
In 15 years of owning this machine I've never had an issue like this.:confused:
Where do I go next :Banghead this has frustrated me at every attempt to put this machine back to work. Does anyone have ANY IDEAS please,

Plant Fitter

There is power from the controller to the correct solenoids when selected, no voltage drop. Electrically it should work.

Maybe there is voltage going through, but not enough current to do the job. If as you say "electrically it should work" then you should be able to work out which solenoids are required to be energised for each gear.

Does anyone have ANY IDEAS please,

As a last resort, if it was my machine, I would be trying to rig up a system of switches and relays to activate the required solenoids to engage each gear. The machine will really become a one man dog from then on, but depending on your circumstances that may not matter. As long as you or your operator is bright enough to get the switches right, and not engage two gears at once, then it may get you going. At the very least it will prove if the rest of the transmission is working as it should. Do you understand what I am trying to say?

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
Thanks, have thought of that route by using an on/off/on rocker switch & a 6 speed fan switch with a diode set up. Have found another controller, ex USA for bit over $2K (better than the $10K the boys from the Big K are asking):eek: but I want to make sure the controller is the complete culprit before spending more $$$. Got a couple of other checks I'll try yet.

typ4

Occupation
Equipment mechanic for a small company.
Before you spend any more money, unhook the controller and put full voltage to the solenoids that power the bad gear, if the pressure is good in that function then you could have a broken/worn clutch stack. Which could have been caused by the bad solenoids not full stroking.
I have worked on many clark trans in airplane pushbacks and heavy equipment and all these damn controllers are designed by some engineer that obviously never gets dirty.
Good luck, wish I was near you. Love fixing these kind of issues.
Russ, and im big.lol

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
More work to do and things to check

Before you spend any more money, unhook the controller and put full voltage to the solenoids that power the bad gear, if the pressure is good in that function then you could have a broken/worn clutch stack. Which could have been caused by the bad solenoids not full stroking.
I have worked on many Clark trans in airplane pushbacks and heavy equipment and all these damn controllers are designed by some engineer that obviously never gets dirty.
Good luck, wish I was near you. Love fixing these kind of issues.
Russ, and im big.lol

Thanks, I wish it wasn't a 15 hour flight plus a 5 hour drive :) I'll look at that this morning. The original issue was, when working in 2nd or 3rd gear, the trans would jump up to 4th or 5th gear. Then other times it would stay in correct gears :confused:
I have the "brain part" off at the moment going to swap reverse & 2nd solenoids for forward & first see what happens.
Put an air hose into the open trans area checking for any "crap" to be blown out. Drained the oil as well, going to cut open the filter an examine in too.
The main instrument panel pressure gauge, shows normal operating pressure, so at least I know the charge pump is working. I'll need to fit some pressure checking instrument/gauge to make sure pressure in each clutch pack is there.

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
Finally had the grader propel itself forward at full power. Hooked an external hose between the transmission pump pressure port & the first clutch pack pressure port (as that pack was the only one during pressure checks which failed to produce any pressure). Connected the wiring up & away it went. There must be an internal pipe or O ring displaced or damaged pipe, so we've done an external supply fix. Will have to put a solenoid into the system to block the flow for reverse to work.
Hallelujah to finally get this machine going at last :)