• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

trailor mounted knuckleboom log loader swing bearing???

zack-cat

Occupation
Ag mechanic
alright guys, im hoping somebody here can please tell me this is not a major hard job to do. i have someone call me asking if i can replace the swing bearing in his prentice 310 loader. my problem is this thing is on a trailor so you cant just put the machine on blocks and pull the bottom half out. i have a book on cat 539 loaders which is the same size and it says to pull the boom and stick off and then pick the carbody up and set it over out of the way... that seems like alot of b.s. there has got to be an easy way to do this. im thinking rent a crane to just pick the whole thing up off the trailor but will it balance enough to work? any info or pictures on how to get this thing off the trailor would be nice. thanks

Belooky

To get it off the trailer look at it and they are 99% of the time held to the trailer with several large u bolts around the frame rails. Undo those bolts. Set some large stumps under the outriggers and use the outriggers to lift itself up off the trailer then just pull the trailer out from under it

Belooky

Well if you've got the money to spend on it, then rent a crane. Rig up the house to the crane. Set the grapple down on the ground at full stick and use the grapple as a pivot point.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
It is easier to replace with the frame held in place by the trailer. As stated set the bucket down and lift the base as a unit hold ing it off to the side. But more often than not the main boom bearing is worn out at the same time. They take a ton of side stress. When going into it that far and the crane already set up I would pull the boom and check them bearings also.