• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trailer length

puredieselpower

Occupation
I build Pole Buildings
I need to get a new trailer to haul my bobcat, what length do you all think i should get. I need to haul my t-180( overall 11') forks, bucket, and post hole digger all at once. I was thinking a 21' deckover. any input?

thejdman04

???? Just a suggestion

Buy the biggest trailer you can afford and the heaviest duty trailer you can afford. I don t know where you live but if you dont have salt to contend with a trailer should last a great great number of years with very little maintenance (brakes and oil in hubs, grease in bearings type stuff). Go with the biggest trailer your current truck will pull and then some more. You may only have this and that now but what if you buy a mini excavator or a trencher for your skid steer. Pulverizer? Power rake? Backhoe for your skid steer? My point is toys seem to accumulate and when you think you ahve more then enough in a few years its not enough any more.

dayexco

we're looking at a new trailer for our 863 bobcat. it has 2-7k axles, an 18' tilting flatbed, and 4' stationary deck. $4300

puredieselpower

Occupation
I build Pole Buildings
Steve Frazier said:
I've got a 21' deck 8 ton deck over I use, I can get the machine plus 3 attachments on it easily.
thats what i wanted to know, the 21' i am looking at has a 4' dove tail. do you put your machine right over the axles? put it on foward or reverse?

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Most times I drive the machine on forward with one attachment attached. In lousy weather I'll back it on to keep crap out of the cab, I run an open cab during the summer. If I do this, I leave the engine run while transporting so the turbo doesn't freewheel. Where I position the machine depends on how much I'm carrying, I use the machine as a counterweight and position it to achieve the proper tongue weight for safe transport. I generally load the extra attachments on the nose of the trailer.

puredieselpower

Occupation
I build Pole Buildings
Well i got a 21' 7 ton Ridgeline deckover, wont get to try it out till the weekend, but i think she is plenty long enough.:eek2

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
We have a 21' tiltbed, 16' tilt with 5 foot stationary. It's rated for 12K, but I wish we had a 14K or even 16K. I think we're going to sell it and trade up, it's a good trailer but it's just not built quite right for what we're doing anymore. It's only a year old and I had to weld both the fenders back on yesterday, just cheap welding.

When we bought this trailer, we thought it would be too big for us, but we grew into it and now we need something with more capacity. I'm trying to hold off until next year when we get a class 8 dump truck, then I'll get a 20 ton tiltbed that will haul all of our equipment. Until then, our 277 maxes this trailer out completely with just a bucket and it's a bit too narrow for the 277. My advice is to buy the biggest trailer you can afford and don't look back.

Last edited:

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
You also have to get a trailer that your truck can handle so if your getting into a 20-30 ton tag you will definatly need a tandem axle truck to pull it.

If you really are going to need to carry more than one piece of equipement at one time then you will have to look at a trailer designed to carry paving equipment that has hydraulic tail. You want to stick with a pintle hitch trailer so it can be pulled behind a dump truck. If you get involved in buying a lowbed then you have to buy a truck tractor that will sit most of the time.