• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trailer decking

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
We have 2” rough cut oak on our trailer. It’s a pia to keep these on the ramps. They stick up about an inch above the ramp frame so to speak. Especially when loading the dozer it will push them and break the decking screws. Thought about 1” square stock butted up to the end and welded and or an angle iron pocket to slide the ends under. Any suggestions would be great. I’m tired of repairing them damn things lol!

Tags

I have done the angle iron thing on one end and welded a strap across the other end and also routed out the wood ramp somewhere mid way between top and bottom and welded another strap across there too. Seems to be working ok and not putting bolts through the wood seems to stop it from wanting to split.

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
Tenfo. I had a trailer that was built like that. It had straps that went across the boards and had bolts welded to the straps that went down between the boards so you didn’t have holes drilled through the wood. I actually forgot about that! But your right. Putting holes in the wood isn’t good. Plus if you don’t recess the strap as you suggested the cleats will catch and destroy the strap anyway. Thanks bud

skyking1

My 20 ton tilt deck doesn't have decking where you climb on it. The previous owner had removed it all and put in angle iron climbing cleats. It seems to work ok. I am replacing the deck in front of the wheels today/tomorrow with apitong screwed down normally. The excavator barely gets on that section.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
We take a lot of wood off ramps and weld on angle for guys hauling heavy tracked stuff. Sometimes for lighter use we'll do the recessed straps, about the only time I ever use a router.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
It isn't heavy stuff like you are talking about. I have had two triaxle trailers, a 9 ton, now 3 7500 LB axles + tongue weight.
The first had channel rails on the ramps, between the rails were angle iron crossmembers. They worked OK for rubber tired backhoe, but bulldozer was spooky! Tracks seemed to miss the crossmembers entirely, riding only on the rails.
Newer trailer CAM Superliner has channel rails flat side in. The angle iron crossbars are opening facing up, welded flush. This works much better, with no slipping while loading.
I think I might consider placing them proud of the rails.

skyking1

yes dozer grousers are only singles and taller, so all bets are off. I am only loading excavators with triple grousers and they mesh nicely.