• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trailer/cargo weight limits

SnoSheriff

My pulling vehicle is 2006 F-350 diesel 4x4 single rear wheel. Yesterday I picked up a PJ 22' bumper pull deck over tilt trailer with 14,000lbs GVWR (http://pjtrailers.com/detail.cfm?ID=T8). The trailer weights 4380lbs. Does that mean that I can't pull a skid steer (or anything else) that weights > 9620lbs?

Will Musser

Occupation
Heavyhauler/ Truckbuilder
I always heard to not worry about the mule, just load the wagon!lol

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
My pulling vehicle is 2006 F-350 diesel 4x4 single rear wheel. Yesterday I picked up a PJ 22' bumper pull deck over tilt trailer with 14,000lbs GVWR (http://pjtrailers.com/detail.cfm?ID=T8). The trailer weights 4380lbs. Does that mean that I can't pull a skid steer (or anything else) that weights > 9620lbs?

Actually you can being that 10-15% of that trailer weight will be transferred as tongue weight on the back of your truck.

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
The other limit to consider is the gross combined weight rating (GCWR).

Except that I've not seen GCWR ratings for light duty trucks.

What they're going to do (DOT cop that is), is when you are loaded, they'll scale each axle. The trailer's must be 7K or less each axle, then the rear axle of the truck must be under its stated GAWR as published on the driver's doorjamb. As mentioned before, you'll see 10-15% transfer to the truck through the tongue.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
GCWR is not technically a legal designation,but if you should be involved in an accident and you remotely appear to look ''heavy'',you most assuredly will receive the dreaded latex glove exam without the lube from those bad ass DOT boys.Some trucks have the placard on the driver's door jamb,some don't for GCWR.My 3500 doesn't,my 7500 does---60K lbs.