• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trailer brakes wiring

Gchartrand

I just replaced the trailer brakes on our 7K axle trailer. Does it matter what side the wires are plugged on the brake drum side? Cause right now I don't have very much brakes after assembling the new complete drum assembly.

Is one ground and the other power?

It's also a 2 axle trailer.

AllDodge

Assuming electric brakes, it doesn't matter which wire, one power and other ground.
It does matter if the ground side has a good ground back to the truck. It can be attached to the frame, but works best if there is a ground going back to the trailer connector.

Did you adjust the shoes to fit the drum?

Gchartrand

So I'll have to check those things you just mentioned this week once I get the chance.

And no I never knew that those drums needed to be adjusted.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
And adjust the brakes on those axles can be a challenge depending on how they are mounted. If the tube is above the spring (typical) the u bolts and bottom plate are right in the way, and if it's a drop axle, fa get about it, pull the wheels/tires off.