• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trail King converting vacuum/hydraulic to air/hydraulic

paulrob

My neighbour has a excavator here that has problems and we may have to float it out of here. His trailer is a Trail King TK18 with vac over hydraulic brakes. He got rid of the old truck he used with vacuum so that's of no use to us. Noone around here has a truck with vacuum available, so we thought that it would be smart to convert it to air over hydraulics. I have the manual for the trailer, but wouldn't you know it, while it covers the brakes, it only covers from the master cylinder to the wheels.

So I have no idea what would be required at this point - reservoir tank, valving, etc. Then there's the problem of finding all these bits, and knowing which of the current parts are reusable.

Help?

THX

boatdoc

This should be an easy conversion. You will need a resivior tank, air lines, rn6 relay valve,master cylinder with an air chamber, misc. fittings and and air hose.
Lordco ,CBS parts or any heavy truck shop should be able supply you with all the parts needed.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Have you talked to Al or Bob over at Trans Pacific Truck & Trailer ? .... they're in your back yard and they are the Trail- King Dealer here in BC.

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
Is it possible to convert from vac over hydraulic to electric over hydraulic? I have read some testimonials and the braking performance is considered to be very good, I believe the units have an electric motor which operates a hydraulic pump to create the pressure....it is all self contained....

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Is it possible to convert from vac over hydraulic to electric over hydraulic?
Totally ! ..... all of the manufacturers, like Big Tex, Snake River ect., of the 20,000# and up (gvw) offer an upgrade of brake systems from electric only to electric over hyd disc ............... check it out