• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tractor supply hydraulic fluid

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
I am not in a position to know about TSC oil products but worked my 50+ year career at a Case dealership and we sold hundreds of these units over the years, I have seen firsthand the results of off brand oils. I have seen gland seals so brittle they broke up into pieces trying to remove them, I have seen the old style Chevron packings swell so badly the cylinders would squeal when they were activated and had to be pulled apart with the winch on our large roll back. I was threatened with lawsuit by one off brand oil distributor for recommending that my customers not use their product. Hytran Ultra is the best protection you can get for your hydraulic systems life. I know I will be criticized for my comments but that's ok I had a customer base I was responsible for consisting of both utility and our Ag market customers. On the AG side, I had one man who used off brand oil in a 1370 Case Ag tractor and it unbonded every plate in the transmission that had bonded fibrous lining costing around $13000. to have a repair done. There well may be other oils out there, probably are, but I would not know how to make an intelligent recommendation based on my experience. The only exception that I would make is that I feel JD Hygard is in the same quality level as Hytran, but probably not much less costly.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
This is just my opinion but where it says on that label "Recommended for the following applications" in my mind that does not necessarily mean the same as "Meets or exceeds the requirements of specification X". All good-quality oils will have the latter somewhere on the spec sheet.

Also from that list above, Caterpillar TO-2 is a specification that disappeared probably 30 years ago.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
This is just my opinion but where it says on that label "Recommended for the following applications" in my mind that does not necessarily mean the same as "Meets or exceeds the requirements of specification X". All good-quality oils will have the latter somewhere on the spec sheet.

Also from that list above, Caterpillar TO-2 is a specification that disappeared probably 30 years ago.
Good point.

BUT! The first time I went to the closest Ford/New Holland dealer a hundred miles away for a stabilizer kit and oil they sold me 303 universal fluid. As I was driving home I was questioning that choice in my mind and stopped by the Tractor Supply on the way. That is where I discovered the Travellers Premium and bought it. Been using it ever since.

Later I found I could buy generic hydraulic kits for a fraction of the price that looked exactly like the OEM kits. I haven't been back to the dealer since.

Last edited:

Welder Dave

It should be fine for the hydraulics. The OP hasn't clarified if it's for the hyd's. or transmission. It may be OK for the trans. but it would be nice to see the spec. sheet to compare it to the OEM fluid.

Legdoc

Several years ago I changed the fluid in my Kubota M9540 with a major oil company product that said it met OEM specs. The transmission, rear end and hydraulic system shares the same fluid and filters. After a short time the brakes started chattering when applied. I went back to Kubota fluid and all was well. The OEM oil apparently has some friction modifier that was not in the CONOCO product. For me saving $20.00 or so per 5 gallon pail is not worth it. I use OEM fluid and filters on everything now with exception to Diesel motor oil (Delo 400, 15-40) and the finals on my CTL where I use synthetic which is not available OEM.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
My dozer has had TSC oils ran in it for several years without problems. Hydraulic, and transmission oils are both TSC oils. The dozer in a 1975 build so friction surfaces are probably still asbestos composition and newer stuff could have incompatibility issues with off brand oil possibly.

I think this may be where some of the concerns come into play.

Tyler d4c

The old adage of - "If it has farm, tractor, or universal in either the name of the lubricant or of the organization selling it, walk way. Better still - run" comes to mind.
We used to refer to such sellers as "Joe Blow's Gas & Groceries."
I agree but I'll give them a half a pass on this subject. They carry shell sperex(spelling?) And Mobil 424. And I'll use either where applicable

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Don’t be like that, I’ve been using it in my Case 580SE shuttle for a few years and no problems yet, knocking on wood.

JL Sargent

I use the manufacturers specific recommended oil in transmissions with clutches. It's just too critical and too expensive to get wrong. When those clutch frictions become unbonded, things don't work too well.

As far as the hydraulic oil for pump, cylinders and valves, I use the universal stuff. 33 years on AG stuff and 5 on Construction, no problem.

Coytee

(Disclosure: I use Hytran for my IH, something around 25/30 gallons for a full exchange)

I don't have an International dealer close to me so for me to get Hytran, I'd have to go roughly 90 miles away and buy it there. Good part is, my work takes me there (that town) AND I get paid mileage when I'm driving there.

I then found a New Holland dealer maybe 15/20 miles away. They carry NH I think it's called "Ultraction" or Mastertraction.

As I understand, it is the *same* stuff that's in the Hytran bucket but in my case, it was something like $10/15 / bucket less expensive. (side benefit, I also drive to this town for work so I get paid milage for all these locations if I wait for a work day!!)

Point being if you can't find Hytran, this Ultraction from New Holland is the same stuff, only it's wearing a different outfit (different label on bucket)

edgephoto

I replaced 90% of the hoses on my machine and repacked all the cylinders. The fluid looked clean but when I bought it there was a half of pail of some universal fluid in the cab. Said CAT TO-2 recommended on the label. I just used Cat fluid I bought at the dealer when I was refilling. I have gone through 2 pails and need to add a half still.

Buying the right fluids is not that much more money. A great deal if the substitute causes issues

rumblecloud

Occupation
Living the dream...:]
It's good for me to see this thread, being a new owner and ignorant of these issues. Thanks to all who have given their insights.