• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tractomotive (AC) Transmission Issues

iceberg210

Hello again,

Well I finally found a piece of equipment to buy (in the right area for the right price) so my wallet is lighter and my trailer heavier and I've got a new piece of iron.

It's a Tractomotive TL-12D with a 353 Detroit Diesel. I'm not sure if that's an original engine or a repower although I'm thinking it's a repower the more I look at it. But the motor runs amazingly, only has a couple hundred hours on a rebuild cause shortly after the rebuild it started have drive problems apparently...

And that's where I'm at, the loader runs beautifully but you try and put in the shuttle clutch and nothing happens, not even slight movement of thinking about movement. I was told that the previous owner tried to adjust the clutches and just made it worse, (it wasn't moving much, now moving none). I've researched the problem some and people say I need to check the fluid level, and also check the filter. But the issue I'm having is that I can't find where the filter is, or whether there is a dipstick or just a check valve to check the fluid level. The other possible solution is to adjust the clutches and knowing how much fun it is to learn all the tips and tricks of adjusting all the many different clutches in the world if you have any tips on this kind I'd really appreciate it.

If any of you guys know anything about these old pieces of iron I'd appreciate any help you could give...

Also here's a pic for you guys...

Thanks again!!!

Attachments

• DSCN0713.jpg
    DSCN0713.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 2,148

blktppr

Iceberg, that is a group II model uses a torque converter drive system with 2 dry-over center multi-disc type clutches. These clutches are not too bad to adjust, but it does say in my manual not too slip these clutches as it can mess them up bad. As far as the engine, it is for sure a re-power, as the original diesel should have been a buda 6 cylinder that was the same as the D17 and D19 farm tractors used. The Unofficial Allis Chalmers site is a great site for farm tractors, but not much on the construction equipment, but still better than nothing. We have several of these TL loaders and they are kinda fun to play with. Good luck and have fun.

iceberg210

Yeah I've noticed that as well with The Unofficial Allis Chalmers site, they focus heavily on the farm equipment, which makes sense given that the farm equipment was more popular than the construction side, and of course the fact that people seem to have an out and out vendetta to scrap Allis' doesn't help much either.

Thanks for the help by the way, do you recall where that filter that might be plugged could be hiding? Or a check for the trans? Or the filler? Thanks for the help...

BillG

As old as they are and as long as AC has been gone you might be better off posting some pics of the transmission. I doubt that AC built it as they usually used another mfg. for their industrial transmissions in stuff like lift trucks and loaders. I haven't seen a TL model in probably 25 years and can't remember much about them but a few pictures may unblock some of those memories.

Last edited:

Komatsu 150

I think that Twin Disc used to make a lot of the AC transmissions. Most of that company is gone but you might try a search with that name or Rockford Clutch or Rockford Powertrain.

iceberg210

Larry,

In terms of those clutches once you take the access plates off you'll see two sets of clutches that screw onto shafts of sorts. They have a keeper pin so you'll want to make a tool (we made ours out of a sprinkler valve turner) to keep the pins back and to turn the discs on the shaft. There are two, one on each side of the machine, one for forward, the other for reverse, the trick is to tighten them until your over center clutch goes over center with a very distinct snap (30-50 pounds of pressure I think it is that the manual says) I've got a maintainance manual, and a parts manual I'd be happy to make you copies of whatever pages you need out of, also General Gear (www.tractorparts.com) has manuals or Jensales. I've found at least. Hope things go well, and would love to see some pics of your TL12, they're great machines, glad to hear there are at least a few ones running around these days...

Hope this helps...

iceberg210

Success!!!!!!!!

Got to love it when mechanics work for a change! I'm more of a fan of running machinery then working on it, but with the age of all my equipment it seems like I'm always the mechanic, never an operator. BUT IT CHANGED! (at least for today) After working on it all day IT WORKED!!!! WOOOOO HOOO!

(sorry had to share the joy, I'm sure all of you who have been threw frustrating bits like this know EXACTLY how I feel) :D

allis chalmers 1.jpgAC2.jpg

Last edited: