• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Traction lock wont disengage??

chevy43

I know this is an old thread but I want to have a manual unlock set up for the brake solenoid. So I need a switch for hold and a push button starter swich for pull? Can I have this with the BICS without screwing up the BICS controller? IE sending power backwards to the BICS when BICS isn't powering the coils?

chevy43

I read that the BICS system uses low voltage for the hold coils 4-6 volts. I'd really like to get rid of the BICS computer all together and have all solenoids on toggle switches and warning lights for temps and pressures.

chevy43

I inherited this low hour Bobcat 864. The rats and mice have been chewing the wires off. I have soldered about 40 wires back together and got it all working. Then I have to leave where it is for a week or two and when I get back it has wiring problems. I have done everything I can think of to stop the rats and mice but I'm not there to fight them. It's 23 years old and the wiring will become more and more of a problem. I'm used to running equipment with two wires. One for the starter and one for the Alternator. That's how all equipment should be built in my opinion.
I can power each solenoid with a toggle switch and have a much more reliable and easy to fix machine if I can figure out the hold coil voltage.
As for safety - I know the hazards of operating a skid steer and maybe I'll keep the seat bar switch and would never operate it without the bar or get in and out without locking off the the lift and tilt functions.
Everything else - temps, oil pressure etc can be on gauges or idiot lights.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Never gutted a Bobcat before, don't know that I'd want to, I'd be building a sheet metal enclosure that the rodents can't penetrate to park it, but that's me. It's possible to make one analog, the Deutz engine only needs a hot wire and a ground for the shutdown coil. Alternator just needs an exciter wire. The only way you can deal with the parking brake solenoid is with a delay timer module for the pull coil circuit, hold coil circuit can be done with an ignition input to a relay. Control valve spool lock solenoids are 12V, can be controlled with either a switch or momentary controlled latching relays, but you're going to loose your seat bar safety feature, again, one of the reasons I wouldn't want to do this. The one thing you won't be able to use is the aux circuit because those coils are not 12V and they work off of a pulse width modulation signal from the main controller. No main controller, no aux circuit.

chevy43

I use the seat bar already and don't need the computer to enforce it.

Those adjustable DC step down units cheap on amazon are PMW aren't they?

The bobcat is in a shed so I'm thinking about building a wire enclosure but the door would be difficult to make mouse proof.

My dad payed a fortune for this unit and it only has 710 easy hours on it. They ate the whole cab harness off at the hinge point and other areas but I fixed all of that. One rat fell into the fan belt when I started it one day and jammed the belt and melted the idler pulley but I fixed that too.
I had it all fixed and went down two days ago and it wouldn't move. I found the ring gear sensor wire eaten through and soldered it back together and that fixed it. But every time I feel like they are going to get a wire I can't see and then I'm going to be screwed.

The other thing that is bothers my conscience is that stupid timing belt that is now 23 years old. It doesn't look easy to replace but I better do it..... I would never buy a diesel engine with a timing belt - gears last forever.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The computer doesn't enforce the seat belt on a Bobcat, but what the seat bar does is if you leave the engine running and exit the machine momentarily it automatically locks the parking brake and the loader controls, a worthy safety and possibly required safety feature, you will lose that feature.

chevy43

I can keep the seat bar switch if it makes everyone here feel safer.

I've operated a Bobcat enough to know I don't want to tumble out the front as it goes over!

chevy43

I said id put a switch on the loader controls for getting in and out or keep the switch on the seat bar because I know about that human mouse trap too!
Thanks for pointing it out though because that would be super dangerous!

chevy43

One relay operated by the seat bar powering my switch panel and my DC step down power supply - might work.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Keep in mind that seat bar switch is a Hall Effect sensor. If you can figure out how to make that work then you're good, way above my knowledge.

chevy43

Thanks - I didn't know that. Might have to get a spring pull switch on it or something. Hopefully I don't have to do all this but the mice and rats are terrible there and love wires!

chevy43

The silver lining is that I can solder upside down in a cramped space with my glasses falling off and do a beautiful job of it after doing about 40 of them on this machine.