• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Traction Lock stuck on and Other Electrical Issues

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Another point noted above that more or less goes with that intermittent disconnect of harness clicking, start looking for a inline diode in that harness, if one has failed could be getting feedback causing this entire issue. Try to get a schematic on the system, anything looking like ->I- (sorry for the bad illustration) in the wire lines is a diode. Can be across a plug connector, inline to a wire which will appear as a rubber covered splice or connector, even on a circuit card, a popped one will be burnt or browned. Corrosion at a diode can do the same thing on a card.

The-Jerm

That's not right, fix that before you worry about anything else.

Use the voltmeter to figure out where those 2 volts are going.

Are you sure I should have 14 at the battery? The tech at Bobcat told me I should have around 14V at the alternator. I just figured 12ish at the battery was normal.

Sure enough... Went down to drop off my mini ex and pick up the Bobcat today (Decided to just take it to Bobcat because I'm loosing too much time troubleshooting this thing).... Dang sensors were acting up right off the bat. Couldn't get it on the trailer with the hydraulics locked.

heymccall

Probably won't help, but, when I had 863 & 864 Bobcats, I had issues with the seat sensors, not the seat bar. Had issues with the seat sensor on all five of mine.
As for the voltage, it had damned well better be the same voltage at the alternator as it is at the battery.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
With the alternator pushing hard on a borderline battery the voltage is not stable enough for the controls within the processor. As little as two or three volts or excess amps will drive a machine nuts. Happens trucks cars HE do not care for odd power fluctuations especially of resistance in a cable is intermittent sending spikes will just expand on the problem.

Delmer

yes, we're sure. If you're losing 2 volts to the battery something is seriously wrong with a wire or connection somewhere. And it should be easy to find with a voltmeter. normally there might be half a volt drop from the alternator to the battery WITH all the accessories running, nothing with the battery charged and not much running, you have found a problem, maybe THE problem.

The-Jerm

yes, we're sure. If you're losing 2 volts to the battery something is seriously wrong with a wire or connection somewhere. And it should be easy to find with a voltmeter. normally there might be half a volt drop from the alternator to the battery WITH all the accessories running, nothing with the battery charged and not much running, you have found a problem, maybe THE problem.

Okay... I ran my test probe off the starter wire and negative battery terminal (Its really hard to reach the positive wire on the battery). I'm getting same voltage at the starter and alternator while running. I apologize for spinning everyone in the wrong direction. Not sure why I thought I had less voltage at the battery.

However, I went down yesterday and all my electrical was going haywire off the bat. Couldn't get the tractor to run. Today I show up and the machine ran perfect all day. First time in weeks its ran like that. No issues and ran like 4+ hours. I didn't shut it off once I realized it was going to work. Really strange.

Delmer

my crystal ball is still glowing electrical, if not the alternator wire, then possibly a ground. It gets tougher when it works sometimes and doesn't work sometimes. You have to diagnose it while it's not working, if the wire decides to connect and run then you have nothing to find.

The-Jerm

Thanks Delmer. I was shocked today to get a full day of work in. I planned to trouble shoot the machine. Jumped in and it ran all day. Electrical issues are frustrating.

The-Jerm

I have only owned the machine since June 2017. Since I've owned it, the computer has never been contaminated. Visually, it didn't look like anything happened to it.

I spent more money replacing sensors than buying the computer. Just glads its fixed.

Holden Westwood

Resolved! It was the computer. After going through every wire and sensor I could find, I found a cheap used one for sale and decided to buy it. Sure enough it fixed my issues

Hey I know this is and old post but I am have the EXACT same issue did you replace the upper left controller in the cab or what computer did you replace? I appreciate any help.

chevy43

Hi Holden - did you resolve the issue? I'm tempted to put a switch on every solenoid and get rid of the whole BICS system.