• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tracks on a Bobcat 442

mudnducs

Occupation
retired mech eng
Hello gents. I very recently bought a used Bobcat 442 excavator....so far, so good. Plenty of power to do what I need, runs smooth, no leaks.

I'm trying to adjust the steel (not rubber) tracks and the owners manual is unclear about where to check it. If I lift the left side track off the deck there's about 3 inches of clearance in the middle of the track to the bottom roller...but the maunal seems to be saying I should check track clearance at the top roller...I'll NEVER get clearance there......

Any hints?

Thanks in advance guys.

mud

cdm123

Is there a forum moderator that can move this thread to the correct (compact excavator) forum?

bigger than a compact but not a 200 lol. my manual says lay a strait edge between the idler and rear drive you need 3/4 inch sag. there is a cover on the rail on each side with 2 bolts (takes a 9/16 wrench I think ) inside is a button head grease zerk to loosen tracks turn the zerk and release grease to tighten tracks pump grease in. I like to lift the machine with the bucket and spin the track then measure again after adjusting.

mudnducs

Occupation
retired mech eng
bigger than a compact but not a 200 lol. my manual says lay a strait edge between the idler and rear drive you need 3/4 inch sag. there is a cover on the rail on each side with 2 bolts (takes a 9/16 wrench I think ) inside is a button head grease zerk to loosen tracks turn the zerk and release grease to tighten tracks pump grease in. I like to lift the machine with the bucket and spin the track then measure again after adjusting.

Hey thanks!!!!!

lumberjack

3/4" of sag on steel tracks would be powerfully tight, about right on rubber tracks.

You'll want ~3" of sag between the rails and the middle roller. If there isn't a middle roller, use a straight edge between the two middle rollers ooor just eyeball it.

Loose is better than tight, at least until you walk the track off.