• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Track-tors?

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Ok you farming guys, whats this all about.
All I know is there on the way from the factory to the docks. Do these have rubber tracks fitted :beatsme

onroad 161.jpg

Richardjw~

Hiya Rob,

At the moment there's a bit of a world shortage of tyres with some pretty long leadtimes on supply and so the plant possibly couldn't get the tyres the customer specified in time for the machine completion date, so maybe the dealer is going to fit them when it arrives at his premises.
So they pick up a load of 3x2 timber and band it in around the wheel rim and send them on their way

bill onthehill

I would have to agree with richard. the fenders shape is most likely for a tired machine. beside shortages it might have to do with shipping weight or dollar/exchange rate where they are destined. It is a real shame the tire manufacturers can not keep up with demand on ag or construction tires. Bill

KMB83

Occupation
farmer
you might have hit it on the head when you said: from the factory to the dock.

like Richard said could be a height,weight, or most likely a cost issue for shipping.

say if those tractors are heading to south america where the tire manufactor is located, it wouldnt make sense to ship tires to the UK, put them on the tractor, and then ship it back.

53cummins

i would have to agree that it is probably for shipping reasons.... shorter tractor fits in shorter space

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Something to do with the space versus weight ratio, and what not. All the Volvo loaders we get are trucked with the timbers around their rims. I cant remember the last time I saw a Volvo loader on a truck with its tires on.

Richardjw~

Normally if you look around Basildon (or other plants) you would see their tractors on their tyres....I just thought, maybe these tractors will be containerised as rolling skids (cabs removed) shortly

Iron Horse

I would think it is so that they can be loaded into a 20' container or sit on a 20' flat rack without overhang . The standard wheels would be loaded seperately .

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Those are transport wheels, when i worked for a Volvo dealer sometimes new machines came in with those wheels fitted! Sometimes it was because the factory could'nt get tires in time, or because the costomer specd a specail tire!

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
They say you live and learn :) and that is a new one on me.

I suspect it could be both that they are going to a country that has tyres and they could well be going in boxes.

These are obviously headed to a different part of the world :drinkup

onroad 026.jpg
If you take the extra wheels on a couple of pallets you loose a tractor :D
onroad 121.jpg
See why I was suprised to see some minus rubber.
onroad 140.jpg
I havent actually followed one down the road but it suprises me that they get away with those axles sticking out as they must do with no markers on em.

Richardjw~

Rob,

I'm hedging my bets but I'd say you're working somewhere south bound (clockwise) on the M25 between the Dartford crossing and the turning for the M20.....if not then somewhere on the M20 towards Dover.

The Case Maxxum tractors out of Basildon are only for export (UK doesn't take those bar axles) New Holland produced there for domestic and export. Case Maxxums for domestic market are made in Austria.

p.s. Bar axles won';t fit in a container (unless you take the trumpet off)

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Rob,

I'm hedging my bets but I'd say you're working somewhere south bound (clockwise) on the M25 between the Dartford crossing and the turning for the M20..

Was this time last year, but those were all taken on M27 south/westbound towards Southampton by Rownham services in last few months.

If you saw the Select crane pic in another thread that was as you suspected plus 1 mile eg A20 exit. :drinkup

Big Tackle Boy

Used to work for NH dealer here in the UK.

Richard is right all those tractors with the bar axles are most likley being exported and looking at the spec I'd say they are headed for the US, possibly with the exception of the last NH in the last pic, note; no bar axle and european tyres.

The wheels you see in the first pic are what the dealer orders as "slave" wheels from the factory. The slave wheel used to be a solid rim with about 2" of solid rubber all round it. These were rather expensive to ship round the world and over the last few years with the increase in scrap metal CNH lost rather more than they ever got back.

So now if you order on slave wheels you get the rims for the tyre size you want with a wooden/steel band wrapped round them. Once in your yard, fit the tyres the customer requires.

BTB

PS Bet you had to be quick with your camera to get those shots Rob :eek:

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
The wheels you see in the first pic are what the dealer orders as "slave" wheels from the factory. The slave wheel used to be a solid rim with about 2" of solid rubber all round it. These were rather expensive to ship round the world and over the last few years with the increase in scrap metal CNH lost rather more than they ever got back.

So now if you order on slave wheels you get the rims for the tyre size you want with a wooden/steel band wrapped round them. Once in your yard, fit the tyres the customer requires.

BTB

PS Bet you had to be quick with your camera to get those shots Rob :eek:

Thanks for the info, I have never come across "slave" wheels and to be quite honest at first thought Richard was pulling my wire about a bundle of 4"x2" then thought about it a bit more and could see the sense.
I can quite understand how the originals were a pain to ship back and started getting lost ;)

Funny thing about the camera on that job, I spent a lot of time very near the services and the dip in the motorway gives you a very good view if your paying attention :D