• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Track tensioner repair

elkjunkie

This tb135 tensioner would bleed down in 5 minutes. The o-ring was badly scarred and the back-up ring was half gone. The outer seal was installed lip out (backwards I think).20180825_175801.jpg
The piston was pitted from previous water damage. My plan is to braze the pitted ring and reinstall with new seals.20180825_193352.jpg
My brazing skills need improvement. I could still-
1) JB weld the remaining pitting
2) attempt to braze again
3) grind off, weld, and pay for turning
4) buy a new piston for $95
5) call it good and put it together

elkjunkie

Unfortunately one end of the piston has a cavity for the idler rod and spring assembly. If I had a drill press maybe. The metal seems pretty hard though.
Thanks for the idea

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
The outer seal should be lip out, it's there to exclude dirt. $95 bucks for a new piston seems reasonable to me, I doubt a machine shop would spray weld and refinish for that price.

elkjunkie

Dammit.... thanks RZ I guess I put the seal in wrong. It is double lipped so I hope it lasts a while. I will have to pull the track and motor again as I couldn't figure out my 2-speed problem and the idler fork on that side is cracked and spread around a half inch. I'm going to limp it along and do some adjusting and welding when winter hits. The track adjuster held for 4-5 hours yesterday.

elkjunkie

Finally got around to the other tensioner. This one wasn't nearly as problematic. The outer seal was installed "lip in" and I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on the proper install other than RZ's which sounded logical. No pitting on this one so a new o-ring and back-up ring replacement should do the trick.20180920_180010.jpg 20180920_175958.jpg
BTW the other tensioner is still holding well.