• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

track question

eianewb

early this spring when it was still pretty cold out i tensioned my tracks, now i think that the warmer weather has expanded the grease i added and they seem too tight. does this make sense? i had them pretty snug when i did it, but now they seem tight and squeek and squak and sound terrible when i track around. should i be releaving some of the pressure on them? i haven't been using it too much, so i just listen to it, but it is starting to drive me nuts.

thanks!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I can't answer your question about warmer weather expanding grease, interesting theory though. Just my opinion, as a wrench, I'm not fond of "tight" tracks when adjusting, you get 'em in the dirt they get even tighter, not good on track chain. I know, operators find a way to flip loose tracks, I guess I'm saying I don't adjust them to loose stage, just don't make them tight. If you don't have any sag at all in your tracks between top roller carriers, I would say slack them up a bit, jmho.