• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Track Pull and Squeal !

keito

Komatsu D21A6 When i am backing up my right track starts to squeal a little and then starts to lock up pulling me in that direction. does anyone have any experience to pass on. Thanks

Last edited:

td25c

When i am backing up my right track starts to squeal a little and then starts to lock up pulling me in that direction. does anyone have any experience to pass on. Thanks

Front ideler wheel maybe? what's the condition of the undercarrige?

Cmark

Komatsu D21A6 When i am backing up my right track starts to squeal a little and then starts to lock up pulling me in that direction. does anyone have any experience to pass on. Thanks

Yep. Probably your idler bearing collapsed.

Hendrik

Is it possible that a rock is wedged in the tracks somewhere, I know if I get a rock in the tension wheel of my baby excavator it will squeal, making it sound like a big machine.
Are you able to raise the undercarriage off the ground in that model?

rutwad

Is it possible that a rock is wedged in the tracks somewhere, I know if I get a rock in the tension wheel of my baby excavator it will squeal, making it sound like a big machine.
Are you able to raise the undercarriage off the ground in that model?

I would not think it would be a rock. I saw a D3 with the Idler bearings shot. It was so bad that the track lost tension, and the squeeling was easily noticeable. Have you checked the idlers?

idler

Have someone inspect the tracks while you move it backwards. it maybe the the shoes hitting a wearstrip, if your idler is bad it will make the same noise going forward or reverse.

Hendrik

I would not think it would be a rock. I saw a D3 with the Idler bearings shot. It was so bad that the track lost tension, and the squeeling was easily noticeable. Have you checked the idlers?
I agree a rock is a remote possibility but since it happened in my baby ex, it can happen.

Cmark

, if your idler is bad it will make the same noise going forward or reverse.

I disagree. In reverse the track pulls the idler backwards and if the bearing is collapsed the tread of the idler is forced into the yoke. This makes the squealing sound and also acts as a brake on the idler, hence the track locking up.

bordercollie

Occupation
Dealer service tech with 20 yrs experience,
seen the brake bands come apart before and one half of the lining will pile up underneath the other and it will apply the brake, go the other direction, it feeds back out of the brake band and acts normal.

Last edited:

keitho

my d20 does that, on mine its the bushings are wore thru and the sprocket is getting stuck in the hole kinda like jamming up a bike chain when you where a kid

keito

Well that is good information. I have not had time enough to really investigate mine Do you have any pictures. I don't see anything visibly wrong but I can start backing up and the right side just kinda locks up.[ QUOTE=keitho;155691]my d20 does that, on mine its the bushings are wore thru and the sprocket is getting stuck in the hole kinda like jamming up a bike chain when you where a kid[/QUOTE]

keitho

you won't need a pic :) on mine there were big gapeing holes in the bushings where on one side they were wore through
grab a flashlight and look at the bottom side of the tracks (bushings) that are on the top of the oval
i loosened the tracks last year and welded in pieces of pipe cut to length and in half sorta like a main bearing and that got me about 500 more hours, but they are shot

lou at equipment direct in alaska had a set of complete track assemblies on e-bay that i bought and just picked up today from portland , brand new so now i need to get some rollers , etc. and do a total uc job this summer before i get stuck somewhere without tracks or break something in the finals

keitho

btw: noticed your handle is very close to mine :)