• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Track keep coming off Komatsu Pc45 - help ??

Ozboc

Greetings guys - as mentioned in title - i keep droping a track of on one side - its only just started to happen as a regular occurrence - here are the details
Its Komatsu pc 45 -
it is an older machine
track adjuster is not leaking and holding
always seams to be the same side
Steel Tracks - all idolers - rollers are in good order
with track of the ground - will drive nicely but you can see where the grease adjuster is , you can see it moving back and forward when track is running
driving on nice flat ground and making turning manuvers - its ok but once i get to slightly uneven ground or sandy ground - bank - out it goes

I know that its possibly worn tracks - but its just a farm tool , so really would like to avoid replacing expensive parts if possible as i make no money from the machine - is there a possibility of having to much tension which could cause this issue ?? as i know not enough can cause this

any suggestions ??

Last edited:

Monrad

Occupation
Monrad Earthworx
Hey Ozboc, being an older machine with prob a fair few hours on it, I wouldnt worry to much about the tracks being to tight, not banjo string tight though. An easy way to keep tracks from jumping is also to whack 1 or 2 track guards on it. It stops the track from snaking out at the bottom, that makes em jump off pretty quick when the chains are worn.

Ozboc

Greetings Monrad ,

What i have found is that is i keep the track that keeps coming off , On the high side of a hill when im travelling and drive at Back it does not come off , well not for a few days anyway, i had a look as you suggested and there looks like there are guides in place but no way near the track ( at least 2 inches away ) so with your suggestion , i will take off the guides that are there and modify them at work by putting in additional plates to help keep track in place - now i wonder if i should try to throw in some bearings rather than just a wear / guide plate ....

may look into it ...

thanks for your help !

jaytech

Hey guys my EX 120-2 has a track that comes off on any excuse. It comes off at the front and especially when in reverse.
I want to make some track guides and could use some advice and some pictures.

Mjrdude1

One thing to check on most excavators that lose tracks, check the front idler roller, see how much slop there is in the roller frame between the roller axle brackets and frame guides. We have some older machines and when the guides and brackets get worn it allows the roller to wander (wobble) in the frame and will throw a track. This is assuming the roller bearing is in good shape. A wobbley idler will throw tracks faster than you can imagine.
Just something to check.

jaytech

Funny thing is that the other track (the good one) has a bad idler. But the one coming off has a good idler. I,ve got vacation coming next week. That will be a good time to lift the track up and inspect each pad and all rollers. I still think I will need to fabricate some guides.

BigRed

Occupation
Attachment Designer
add track frame reinforcing to stop the idler end spreading. put a idler guide above the nominal pin centre. height should be approx. to centre of chain pin. should be formed at each side to redirect chain without hitting sharp edges

Cat_man320

The track should only be coming off when in reverse . They should never come off when going forward unless you hook a boulder or a stump . I think you may have the nut stripped on the tensioner spring that keeps your track tight . When the bolt is broke or the nut is stripped the track stays tight if traveling in a straight line or over good ground but soon as there is any resistance like turning or gravel or stones getting in the track , the idler will go back slacking up the track a great deal . Unless the bearings are gone in the idler or axle shaft broken or the slides are worn totally out , I see no reason why a track would come off travelling forward .

skadill

Set the bucket against each track on front(idler) end and push with machines force,if one goes in way easier than the other, its a broken track spring or the nut as mentioned above.I had one broken recent.

Bejennar

Where would you recommend getting a track bolt? OEM or aftermarket? Would you replace yourself or take it to get fixed? Please help! I'm new to the industry - thank you in advance!

Bejennar

Thanks for replying! Do you know if the OEM bolts come in bulk or buy seperate? Also, is there a warranty on OEM bolts??

Bejennar

Hi, I'm also from Western Australia. Do you know much about the warranties?? Thanks :)