• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Towmotor/Caterpillar TC30? help

bigguy6100

I just got a forklift the other day because I thought it would be what I needed. The data plate is missing, but it looks like a Cat TC30. It was apparently built not too long after Caterpillar took over Towmotor, because it has the Towmotor name on either side, and Caterpillar on the counterweight. It has a 4 cylinder gasoline Continental, 2 stage mast, no power steering, no side shift, no cage, and is hydrostatic. If anyone knows if it is not a TC30, please let me know. I bought it because it was low to go around in and around my shop and outbuildings. Big mistake. If it even looks at grass the traction tires just sit there and spin. It doesnt sink low enough to bottom out, but just sits. Anyone know of a dual front wheel conversion for these with 12 lug wheels? Anyone ever used the tire studs I have seen for ice to get traction in dirt? Anyone know of a pneumatic/press on type rim to convert this one off of the cushion tires? Also, my rear steering tires are VERY worn and thin, anyone know what size to get (these are all chewed up and say nothing). As I'm sure you can tell, I'm new to this forklift bidness. I hate to get rid of it, it runs great, lifts fine, has low top clearance so I can get it where I need to, I just cant do my outside chores with it. Plus, I think it is neat looking and I have an affinity for old iron, even if it is ugly (previous owner painted it pink for no reason, gotta fix that).

leisureexpress

As far as identifying, you'll need to post up pictures. I can help if you want to send me a personal message with your email.

I do know that unless you have pnumatic tires, they are practically worthless outside & off "road". Solid tires (have about 1" of rubber between the outside and the steel rim) will only go on pavement or concrete. Solid "cushion" tires / aka semi-pnumatic (have 3-4" of rubber between the rim and the outside) can go on pavement, concrete and packed gravel - that is it. You are on the right track trying to find pnumatic rims / tires for it. I've got 2 same size Toyotas, one with the cushion tires/semi-pnumatic and one with pnumatic. The pnumatic one will go on dirt, even across a lawn if it is not too wet and even through some sandy dirt, stop, reverse, go, turn etc, the solid cushion/semi-pnumatic tires gets 1-2 feet into the same and is stuck.

Last edited:

bigguy6100

Anyone know of pneumatic wheels with this 12 bolt lug pattern?

DSCF4063.jpg

DSCF4059.jpg

DSCF4060.jpg

DSCF4058.jpg

xrenchtwistr

It is not a cat TC30. According to the pictures it most likely is a 422S. The 422S was a forerunner of the T30. Here is a link to measure the tire size you need. With no power steering I would suggest as narrow a tire as possible. http://www.flt-online.com/1.forklift/1.Press on/7.howtomeasure_presson/howtomeasure_presson.html. I do not know of a pneumatic conversion for the tires. You're pretty well stuck with the solids. If your outside ground is fairly solid there is a treaded drive tire availiable but they do not perform as well as a pneumatic tire on the ground. You might rig up some kind of chains on the drive tires but the clearance isn't much for chains. In the pictures you posted it looks like it may have 4 way hydraulics which is good You might be able to find a hang on side shift reasonable priced, and since the 4 way hydraulics a fork positioner if you need one. It is kinda odd to see 4 way hydraulics on a truck that old. I'd guess it was made in the late 60's. You may find a model and serial number stamped in the frame near the engine compartment.

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
That is a very pretty pink color. Our guys in the hammer shop had a cat yellow lift and hot rod NPK orange flames on it!

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
In my opinion traction will not be noticeable increase just by going to pneumatic tires, these little wheel lifts are made for hard surface and that's it. I have one with dual pneumatic tires and it is still pretty limited

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
Our shop lift is pneumatic and it will get stuck in a pot hole. I can't tell you how many times we pulled or pushed out mitsubishi out of the mud and just loose dirt. I would be better if you could get a diff lock for it.

Walker1

I have the same body Towmotor in a Pneumatic tire. I used it outdoors almost exclusively. it does fair, but does get stuck. A locker for the diff would be nice.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
bigguy6100 - That's a cute little forktruck, but it's not a Cat TC30, and it's definitely an antique. Caterpillar purchased the Towmotor company in 1967, and didn't change the Towmotor product line immediately - but they added the Caterpillar name on to every Towmotor product. So your fork was built around the late 1960's, because it's a pure Towmotor forktruck, even though it has Caterpillar on the counterweight.
xwrenchtwistr appears to have nailed the model number, but Cat will probably still have some parts available for it. Continental parts are still readily available. If you post the S/N, I may be able to find some details on it, in my forktruck books.

Lots of people get caught out on the "ground conditions" performance of forktrucks. The model you have purchased is designed for hard pavement and concrete, period. If you take it off solid pavement, you'll go nowhere.
Even regular forktrucks with single pneumatic tires struggle with poor ground conditions. All the weight is on the steer tires when your forktruck is unladen. And it's a LOT of weight. Your little forktruck probably weighs around 6000lbs, and over 4000lbs of that weight would be on the steer tires when it's unladen. Thus, any poor ground conditions will see those steer tires bog right down, and the drive wheels can't offer any serious amount of traction.

If you need to work your forktruck in poor ground conditions, you need duals - or at the very least, large diameter, pneumatic singles. You can't change the wheels on your forktruck to large diameter pneumatics, because your forktruck is built with different axles or hubs to forktrucks with bigger diameter wheels. My advice to you is to sell this forktruck and buy one that suits your ground/operating conditions, with large single or dual pneumatic tires.

If you attempt to install large diameter pneumatic tires on your forktruck, you'll run into clearance/interference problems with the wheel arches - and more importantly, the drive wheels will then project past the mast and you'll have problems with the tires interfering with the carriage, when it's lowered.

When purchasing your forktruck, there are many trade-offs. Compactness in design is required where you have tight working areas. Usually, tight working areas go hand-in-hand with intensive workplace development - i.e., pallet racking rows, concrete or level pavement floors. When you have undeveloped areas, with loose road base, grass or just plain dirt work areas, then compactness in fork design is usually not a requirement. So, a dual-wheel forktruck is good for rough working conditions, but it's not a compact machine, so you have to trade off the lack of compactness against the ability to handle unpaved areas.

Last edited:

Kawgomoo

Old thread but i had to chime in. They are right being a 422 {ish** tow motor. They are infact rated at 3k, but on what center and at what height i do not know.

If you google "towmotor 2500" and click images you will see alot of lifts like yours.

From what i can tell, yours is a next generation from the 1950's "Vanstacker" towmotor forklifts. Very similar to yours, except they are manual not hydrostatic. for that i would think yours is deeper into the 60's or so.

I think a good lift for your situation with a simliar capacity would be a 50's Pettibone 30 {gs-30** yard lift. they are large pneumatic tires. 3 wheel, which prevents jacking of one of the drive wheels on unven surfaces which gets you stuck.

Look around, since you are back east the military used them with special short masts to load airplanes {drive in and out of them**

Anyways happy hunting. The next step up is articulated lifts, like the honeybee that bee farmers use for loading hives from grass fields to tractor trailers. basically a glorified bobcat with forks.