• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tow rating, GMC Topkick

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I have a 1990 GMC Top Kick 7000. It has Cat 3208 10.4 litre turbo V8, Allison transmission. GVWR is 28000. It has air brakes. Current trailer is electric brakes, but I'd need a different trailer anyway.
What are the limits I could legally tow, or safely tow, whichever is less. It'd be 3 miles of reasonably level 50 MPH speed limit highway between two parcels I own. I don't mind driving 20 MPH for this. I'm tempted to buy an old excavator that weighs 16 tons.
If I have to depend on a mover, it'd be a factor in the buying decision.

Willie

JD8875

Are you pulling off a 5th wheel or a hook? I move my 953 on an air brake dual tandem pintle hook trailer pulled by a single axle air braked IH 4900 crew cab dump with a dt466. It's no speed demon but I've never felt under braked. Im looking to pick up an excavator myself and have been looking in the 120-140 class. My 953 weighs about 32-33000 working weight.

John

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Pintle. It is getting a flat dump body for versatility. I'll need a new trailer as mine is rated to carry 9 tons.
The Top Kick will replace the 6500 pictured in my avatar. The old truck with air brakes, and electric trailer brakes handles well my 8 ton backhoe on a triaxle trailer, except the engine. I'm usually at 3600 RPM with the throttle on the floor in some low gear. The old truck is a gas 427 truck motor, a Hell of a motor, but out of its class.

The new truck (1990) is a 31000 Mile fire truck rust free with 10.4 Liter turbo 3208 Cat engine, and an Allison transmission. I'm not expecting a powerhouse, but am expecting less terror that I'll run out of power on a steep hill in low/low.

JD8875

I would think more the bigger challenge would be balancing it on the trailer. You'll need a pretty long trailer to balance a 160 so it doesnt all become tongue weight, or worse yet take too much off the tongue. Got room on the truck for a tag axle to add another set of brakes? The 3208 isnt going to be a monster but there's lot of old tandem trucks running around with a 3208 hauling 15+ ton a day....