• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tow point Cat AP655C

Mike456

Been having issue with my tow points. Can’t seem to get them to work. I have power going to them, and hydraulic fluid as well. But I know it’s not enough hydraulic pressure to operate them. Everything else works on it. Including the hopper, which those and the tow point run to the same hydraulic manifold. I’ve tried just about everything. I’m lost on this

ahart

Throw out a serial number and we will see what advice we can offer.

ahart

GNZ00333 is the serial number of the machine based on the serial number you provided which is the engine serial number. Have you teed gauges into the cylinder ports and ran the controls for the tow point cylinders? The counterbalance valves keep the pressure at 1900 psi when the solenoids are activated. There is a pressure tap on the control manifold that can be used to measure the supply pressure to the valve coming from the auxiliary pump, one on each valve for left and right. First thing I’d do is get gauges on it and see what numbers we are actually seeing.

Mike456

Sorry about S/N. It’s a military piece of equipment, so everything is painted over. But we’ve put a gauges on it, the only place pressure is low are at the tow points, even at control manifold for the tow point/ hoppers. What confusing to me, the hopper works fine..

ahart

Do this test and report back findings.

Attachments

• AP655 aux pump pressure test .pdf
    249.7 KB · Views: 2

Mike456

Ahart, thank you for the info and response. We completed the test, the aux pump is putting out the pressure is should. We’re only get 100 psi still to tow points. I’m thinking it’s the pressure reducing valve but what gets me, and something I’ve never seen is that both valves fail at the same time…

Mike456

Do this test and report back findings.
Ahart, thank you for the info and response. We completed the test, the aux pump is putting out the pressure it should. We’re only get 100 psi still to tow points. I’m thinking it’s the pressure reducing valve but what gets me, and something I’ve never seen is that both valves fail at the same time

ahart

One thing you might check, does the hopper quit if you try to run the tow point at the same time? Since both valves use aux pump pressure for supply, either PRV being bad might dump pressure for both. I’d have to look at the schematic again to verify this is how it functions.

Mike456

One thing you might check, does the hopper quit if you try to run the tow point at the same time? Since both valves use aux pump pressure for supply, either PRV being bad might dump pressure for both. I’d have to look at the schematic again to verify this is how it functions.
I’ll give that a try. One thing I did was swap lines from tow point to the hopper. And the tow points worked perfectly and hopper didn’t work..

Mike456

Hey fellas! I figured it out a coupl weeks ago, sorry for the delayed response. The issue were the o-rings inside the pressure reducing valves for the tow point on both hydraulic manifolds, who would have thought!!! We pulled them apart, and that little oring, just crumbled. It was pretty bad!! Thank you all for the advice and help!!