• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tow load limit?

D6c10K

What's a practical load limit for pulling a trailer behind a tandem axel dump truck? I know it's asking a lot without knowing all the particulars of truck/trailer...just looking for a general info.

I've seen some med size excavators hauled this way and was wondering if it would be possible to haul my D6c? (I'd guess 38-39,000 lb) If so it would be a lot cheaper than buying both a truck and lowboy to haul it.

Ray Welsh

Banned
What's a practical load limit for pulling a trailer behind a tandem axel dump truck? I know it's asking a lot without knowing all the particulars of truck/trailer...just looking for a general info.

I've seen some med size excavators hauled this way and was wondering if it would be possible to haul my D6c? (I'd guess 38-39,000 lb) If so it would be a lot cheaper than buying both a truck and lowboy to haul it.

To anyone considering this, whether it's legal or not, a safety note is worthwile.
Personally I'd have load on the towing vehicle to stop the trailer wagging the truck.........C ya............Ray

sheepfoot

load limit

I pull a 20T custom tag with my work tandem , we have also pulled a 25T 3 axle tag but i did not care for it, they will sway and run to the low side of the road alot behind you due to the deck height/load and will give you the pucker factor even with the best drivers due to road conditions, you may get the full tonage if the axles are matched along with the truck, ie bridge laws, road weight limits in your area, i don't like tag trailers due to having always hauled with a seven axle tractor trailer but my current job hires a lowboy to haul the trackhoe's/dozers/ pans that is over my 20t range and height limits. I can get my full 20t with my tag and dump but still like a 5th wheel over a pintal any day. Start with your truck and work to the trailer/ most important( the hitch plate, and truck hitch, this needs to be done before you even think about hooking a 20/25 T trailer up to a mostly built to carry a 12T if you are lucky)
there is always your truck dealer,tell him your needs, he can spec it out on paper for free and tell you your limits of your truck.

D6c10K

Sounds to me like it's not a real popular setup for anything very heavy....might have trouble getting weight distrubtion balanced or bridge length to meet dot rules anyway. (have tried reading dot booklet...what a mess...just about need a software program to compute dot requirements)

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
Looks like Iowa has pretty much the same weight laws as the NW.

So with the weight laws the same, one of our dump trucks and the TrailMax TRD-50 tri axle could carry its max weight of 50,000 lbs.

If you looked at the post I mentioned before I was carrying 40,000 lbs of 2'x2'x4' concrete blocks single height which were spread out a little over 2/3rds the length of the trailer. And I could have carried more weight because I was 11,000 lbs light on the truck tandems. Now with a piece of equipment the weight is usually more concentrated in a shorter space. We have hauled 320 size excavators for other people which weigh just under 50,000 lbs.

I don't have any complaints with this trailer and it tows like a dream as long as the load is balanced and a little front heavy. The problem most people have with their trailer being squirrely is that they try and put all the weight on the trailer and leave the tounge weight light. Theese type of trailers are designed to have the tounge and truck carry a good percentage of the load as long as the truck is set up for it, meaning the hitch mount can carry the weight and that the pintle hitch coupler is rated for the weight. Our pintle hitch coupler a Premier 2300 is rated at 20,000 lbs tounge weight and 100,000 lbs trailer weight.

Also as I mentioned in the other post don't get a short tri-axle, not enough room to move the load back and forth as needed to get a good balance. Our deck is 30 ft long, fixed 5 ft in the front and a 25 ft tilt. And as much as I usually like Trail King trailers having owned a few in the past, their 50 ton tri-axle is not that great. The problem is with the short length as it only has a 4 ft fixed front deck and a 20 ft tilt deck, so it is 6 ft shorter than a TrailMax and will also cause problems with total length weight rules or bridge law.

Here is a link to the truck weight laws in Iowa.

http://www.dot.state.ia.us/mvd/omve/truckguide.pdf

Last edited:

D6c10K

Kgmz,
Thanks for the info...what you say about balancing the load makes sense. I've seen even lightweight trailers cause problems wagging when they weren't loaded with enough tongue weight.

Tri-Star

D6C I dont see any problem with it as long as you pair up your truck and trailer correct

I have a good friend who has a 963 and a D6R and he hauls either of them on a tri-axle tag no problem what so ever. I have seen him on the interstate and he can let it roll and this is east TN, lots of hills and curves. Seen him in some spots with that 963 that scare me with my backhoe but he has alot more truck than me. He is running a 2005 357 Pete 550 Cat 18spd, with full lockers. So I really agree with everyone about matching your trailer to your truck, just make sure you have enough truck for what ever tailer you put behind it. I am just as currious as u about how heavy will they allow for a say tri-axle dump and tri-axle tag.