• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Touch-up paint sources

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Does anyone have a good online source for touch-up paint?
I have the Pete color code but I don't really want to drive 6 hours to the dealer and back.

Raildudes dad

Not an online source but my local NAPA paint store took my 87 Ford LTL9000 paint code that I got from the Ford micofiche at the Sterling dealer (before they closed up) and matched it pretty good:). Had to buy a half or whole pint (can't remember which) but it wasn't spendy.

buckfever

I think my napa will put paint in one of those little containers with a brush.(kinda like a nailpolish container).

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
CM, I looked at that database but it had 0 results for Peterbilt.
Buck and raildudes - our NAPA's quit mixing paint in the late 1980's... thanks though...

Raildudes dad

Orchard EX: Not your NAPA parts store but a NAPA Paint Store. I can't find anything on line about their paint stores but I was referred to the one here in town by my local NAPA Parts Store. They have a data base on all manufacturers paint codes and mix it while you wait.

Dualie

I have a several local automotive paint suppliers that can mix you up your color code from Pete into everything including spray can. Look for an automotive paint supplier in your area.

If all else fails most if not all of them have color books that you can take out with little windows cut in the middle of the color swatches to hold over your existing color to match perfect.

How much area you looking to cover?

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
I have a several local automotive paint suppliers that can mix you up your color code from Pete into everything including spray can. Look for an automotive paint supplier in your area.

If all else fails most if not all of them have color books that you can take out with little windows cut in the middle of the color swatches to hold over your existing color to match perfect.

How much area you looking to cover?
I don't need to cover much initially, about a spray cans worth would do. Years ago you used to be able to get a pint of touchup color. I have a touch up gun for small jobs like this. I was also thinking of painting a trailer to match when it gets rebuilt in the winter. I tried our local auto paint supplier store and after repeating "Peterbilt" twice they said "Whats that like a farm tractor? We don't sell tractor paint". One of the local body & fender shops had offered to look it up for me a while back but then we kind of had a little falling out. I guess it's time to mend fences with the body & fender man.

Dualie

the body and fender man buys his paint from somewhere. You just gotta weed out the middle man.