• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Total truck rebuild.

mekanik

A Glider is sold by the parts department as a part. The glider is ordered with the electrical connections for the engine
and transmission you are going to install. I did several glider swap overs when I worked for a Kenworth dealer.
They were fun projects.

Terry

Wes J

Is there a limit to what age truck you can use as a donor for a glider? I mean can you get a brand new dash panel to talk to a mechanical Cat or something even older like a 2 stroke Detroit?

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Is there a limit to what age truck you can use as a donor for a glider? I mean can you get a brand new dash panel to talk to a mechanical Cat or something even older like a 2 stroke Detroit?

Like in a 12-71. Or 12-92. Water tempurature and oil pressure, and battery. Not much interface needed. I like the way you think. I can hear that "new" KW scream in my day dream now.

Last edited:

Wes J

I've heard it called a "buzzin' dozen".

Just curious how far they would go to make the various gauges work with old motors. Lot's of those Detroits were 24V.

lantraxco

Just curious how far they would go to make the various gauges work with old motors. Lot's of those Detroits were 24V.

Instrumentation is easy, changing senders, converting voltages and signals is no problem.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder

The old Detroit wouldn't care if it had a 24V or 12V starter and alternator. The rest of the engine doesn't require any electricity. Maybe a shutdown solenoid. That's easy to change too.
I've had the pleasure of driving 3 different trucks with a 12V71, Loved them. Fuel mileage totally sucks though. One was running 105,500 all the time, I think 3.5 MPG was a high point for that one. With 80,000 it would run with the cars on most hills. Had a pet 8v92 for awhile, originally built as a "Fuel squeezer", Original owner did not like the TT governor and changed it out with a standard limiting speed governor, WOW that thing would run... And eat fuel and smoke if you weren't careful on the go pedal. I think the Detriot dealer said that combo was 500 HP +.

Truck Shop

V-series Detroit's--also known as Salt Water Chevy's. Back in the 70's a guy I knew out of Indio Calif had a 79 SuperLiner Mack with a big shack on the back.
It sported a 12V-71 with twin turbos, engine was built in Long Beach by a boat shop. That was a movin Mack, he had a ticket he liked to show off for speeding
while climbing the Vine.:yup

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Well if we are going that route, I have glider truck for that project. Ok its a complete truck but perfect for the 12V-71. 1968 KW W900 day cab with aluminum frame and torsion bar suspension. If its going to be loud it should ride rough to.:eek2 On the plus side its 24V starting circuit and 12V everything else, what were they thinking? Oh ya and no power steering, or AC.

The down side is, it has a 13 speed in it, so no twin sticks. :thumbdown

Wes J

A guy who works for me inherited a 1970 White Freightliner COE with an 8V-92 and a 14 speed (yes, 14 speed). It's air ride. No power steering. The driver side door is off for some body repairs. It has not been run in 6 years (stored inside) and not on the road since 93. But, it's available really cheap.

OMB

Another thing to consider is the tax man. I don't remember the details but what I got out of the IRS bulletin concerning glider kits was if you have a finished build value of 75% or more of an equivalent new truck you have to pay 12% FET on the value of the completed used truck.

I'm curious how far equivalent value can be taken- for example- let's say a 2014 425 Cat averages 5 mpg and a 1990 425 does 20% better on fuel, does that fuel savings factor into the market value of that rebuilt truck?