• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Torque Value for Coolant & Oil Temperature Sending Sensor- CASE 480E LL

miklav

I am replacing both coolant and hydraulic temperature sending sensors. Anyone know how the torque value needed when installing the new sending units?

Respectfully,

Mike from Cleveland

Steve Best

Occupation
Millwright, machinist, instructor
I have very little heavy equipment experience but a lot of automotive and industrial mechanical experience.
When in doubt, we check with the manufacturer, but typically sensors are lightly torqued due to their material and light build.
The seal makes a difference. Pipe threads need a lube/seal compound and a turn past interference.
Copper and aluminum washers need enough torque to crush to seal.
Fiber washers will take less torque but more torque than rubber washers.
"O" rings are generally captured in a groove or cavity so not crushed when you snug them up.
Pot metal or white metal components will not stand much torque at all before breaking.

Generic info, sorry to say, but hope it helps.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I have very little heavy equipment experience but a lot of automotive and industrial mechanical experience.
When in doubt, we check with the manufacturer, but typically sensors are lightly torqued due to their material and light build.
The seal makes a difference. Pipe threads need a lube/seal compound and a turn past interference.
Copper and aluminum washers need enough torque to crush to seal.
Fiber washers will take less torque but more torque than rubber washers.
"O" rings are generally captured in a groove or cavity so not crushed when you snug them up.
Pot metal or white metal components will not stand much torque at all before breaking.

Generic info, sorry to say, but hope it helps.
All good points better than my reply would have been! "Tighten till it strips or breaks and back off 1/4 turn!"

On a more serious reply see the attached file from Cat. It gives standard torques for many different fasteners, note that the bolt torques are for Grade 8 SAE also in the ISO fasteners beware that some are for 8.8 fasteners and some for 10.9 fasteners.

Attachments

• Cat General Torque-Specifications.pdf
    282.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: