• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Toolcat

bigblueox

Does anybody have or have used a Bobcat toolcat? I'm doing a large fencing project and am using one to drill posts with. This might not be the right fourm to put this under but it is a tool carrier so i figured what the heck. And this fourm needed some attention!

TRACKHOE71

Occupation
OPERATOR
we have one, where i work, not sure the model number, but ill try to help ya out the best i can

itsgottobegreen

They are the baddest machine in the world to plow with. Throw a blizzard 810SS on the front. Curtis 4' hydro v box in the back (remove the motor and u can plumb it to work with the rear hydros) They turn on a dime. Comfortable to plow with for hours on end (unlike a bobcat skidsteer)

It would be great for fencing. Throw the posts in the back. Drill hole, get out, grab post, drop in hole, get back in. No going back with a truck to drop off each post.

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
Old thread, but just how close to the work a small skid-steer can a Toolcat do?

bigblueox

they are pretty sweet. what are you looking to do? i think it's limited when digging because of the loader geometry and breakout force. I use our for alot of fencing, plowing snow, running a harley rake, spreading gravel, grading, sweeping, moving large round bales, feeding cows, i mean you name it it's pretty versatile. all wheel steer is pretty nice to!

mouse

Occupation
(wishfully) avoiding work as much as possible
the toolcat is not good at hard digging/pushing compared to a skidsteer. i'd reckon its about the equivalent of a s130 in the digging stakes. the other weak point is that you can shuffle/wiggle with a skidsteer but the toolcat cannot (if you know what i mean)

it is great for lift and carry operations, for not making a mess of your yard, for carting your kids/grandmother around and for any operation that requires moving further than the dirt pile to a truck. on the lift point beware it has a lower lifting height than most skidsteers.

it feels comfortable on slopes, many places i take it i'd not even consider taking a skidsteer up/down. its ok on cross slopes, mainly limited with what you feel comfortable with.

the d series (the current model) seems to have the traction a bit better sorted than the earlier ones tho having some weight in the tray helps a lot. I'd be circumspect of the a & b series, they changed the loader arm for the c series and thus fixed a few limitations. c&d run the same arm setup, d has independant suspension all round.

its rated at 1500lbs lift capacity, it'll lift a ton pretty easitly, about the only limitation is how much sway you can put up with in the loader arm - given its a central arm long objects like a 40' telegraph poles tend to be intertesting to carry.

in a nutshell, if you want to just load trucks stick with a skidsteer however if you want a good flexible tool that does a lot of things quickly and easily the toolcat is a good thing.

i've both a toolcat and a S185 coincidentally. the toolcat is far easier to use mostly. i've so far run my entire attachment range on the toolcat including a hammer, landscape rake, brushcat, grapple bucket, trencher, auger, soil conditioner etc etc.

if i was fencing full time i'd use a skidsteer unless the turf is precious. i'd choose the skidsteer cause you can work the auger as you dig plus the toolcat use a radial lift and its quite a radius.

if you go down the toolcat path, tbn has a reasonable section ot TC.

My main tip is learn to clean your fan properly especially if you mow/slash with it.

RTSmith

Occupation
All good info. Thanks!. I have a Kubota RTV we use a lot, and then the ss works a root grapple, hammer, bucket, etc. Doesn't sound like the toolcat can quite replace a ss for HD operations. My 2,000# Cat is often tipsy with large rocks in the grapple, a toolcat would be worse. Now, if I could justify a toolcat AND a ss, that would be the trick...! But my thoughts of consolidating two pieces into one isn't quite practical given my uses.

RTSmith

Occupation
I really don't have anything to note, but there hadn't been a single post in this entire section since November and I didn't want the little 'puter geeks inside the machine getting restless. Obviously tool carriers just aren't as sexy as doxers & excavators...

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
C Model

I have a C Model Toolcat and love it, pushing snow it is a beast. We put a broom to sweep and clean up, and use a soil perpetrator on it as well. A very versatile machine.

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
they now have the 5610 which is a tool cat with no bed and a three point hitch and pto on the back i think rated at 25 hp becare full at running a breaker on them they dont like to curl them back when you get to 90 degrees and you have to back up and curl at the same time also the arms are not rated for a hammer to light they will break over time from using a hammer alot of drive motor issues on the old c series the rotating groups eggshell and you notice a pause in the drive and weak drive force the cab has to be pulled to put the motor in a c series i believe not enough clearance to get it out over all the digging sucks the front dips when you get in a pile because of the suspension nice ride they will climb some pretty good banks though

RoadDoc

Last time I talked to a dealer, it was in the "ballpark" of $48K.... Don't remember options discussed. Think that's when I hit the floor.....:dizzy

We were talking about the newest version with the three point hitch, etc.

334 lawn co

Occupation
surplusonthe.net equipment auctions
goodness gracious. ill stick with my kubota rtv and tractors. speaking of rtv, anybody see that they have a four seater now?

Attachments

• rtv1140_02.jpg
    rtv1140_02.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 3,920
  • 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 3,693
Last edited:

timm9

A fully loaded (2 speed, cab, road-light kit/turbo, stereo, high flow) will run in the mid $40,000 range. I have two that are used strictly for snow removal with Blower units. The visibility is excellent and it is capable of 18 MPH. The "ride" is superior. In my old CAT after 18 or 20 hours I could hardly walk for two days. In the Toolcat, I get up after 4 or 5 hours of sleep and I'm good to go again.

bernieg

Toocat

just curious if anybody is having problems with the drive motors?? i bought my toolcat in '05... 200 hours later they had to replace both front and rear drive motors... i have not used it very much but guess what?? 200 more hours and it is in the shop again and they said i need to replace both drive motors... and my warranty just ended in May '09... is this something that will happen every 200 hours??? or did they really get the problem fixed with the motors... and is my entire system filled with metal shavings??? bernieg

timm9

BernieG,

Your post just about ruined my day. You are the first one I have heard of that has had two (2) different drive motor failures! I'm hoping that you have/are an isolated case.

Unfortunately the Drive Motors (made by Comer) had a major defect in the 'sleeves' and after a period of time (both of mine made it to about 350 hours) the sleeves start 'shedding' and eventually plug the filters, etc. I also have two 2005 'B' series. At first I thought I had dodged the 'bullet' and my 'B' series were not affected but it was not the case. There are quite few posts on another site (not sure if it is allowed to post the site) regarding this issue. Apparently it has developed in all of the series (B, C, & D) but I don't know about the 'A' series. When both of my TC's went down (in the middle of a large storm) I was well out of warranty and my dealer really 'stepped up' and went to bat for me with corporate. My dealer brought an 18 wheeler to me (two hours away), loaded the units and pulled everyone of their 'normal' work to address my units. They had both units done in 36 hours. The bill was over $14,000.00 and I paid for the initial transport.

I too was very concerned about the 'particles' running loose in my hydraulic system. I have been having samples sent out to a lab to check on contaminates. So far both units appear to be good. As I mentioned above, I'm not aware of anyone with drive motor failures twice. Your dealer had to have received 'new' defective motors for the repair. As you have already discovered, the first 'sign' is the large filter (under the bed at rear axle) plugging. The second filter (next to the battery) never did plug.

I would be very interested to hear more about your issue as I'm not real excited about going into another Snow Removal Season with the potential of more Drive Motor issues. If this is 'reacuring' I'd like to know now and not at Christmas.

bernieg

thank you so much for the info... i purchased in sept '05 and the first failure was in Jan of '07 but it took until Feb '07 before they wanted to believe something was wrong and they had the unit from Feb '07 until the first of April '07... this time i knew something was happening since the Jan '09 but i just kept dealing with it because it was bad enough for the service folks to find it... due the housing down turn i don't use it very much... i only have 500 total hours on it now... you were very fortunate they took care of you... they said i need to pay for the labor, fluids and filter which will be a $1k bill... i guess it is better than a poke in the eye... but i need to make a decision as to keep it and find the same problem in another 200 hrs or do the new motors really work... i really like the unit... it sounds like you have an excellent dealer and he will stand by you for service... i took my TC into Santa Maria two weeks ago and waiting for word to come pick up... if you have anything else that i should expect, please don't hesitate... thanks kindly for the info and help... bernieg