• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Too Good to Be True?

A-1Sparky

I've been looking for a backhoe (Case 580 K or L or JD 310C or D) for about 6 months now, and have finally found what seems to be the perfect machine for me. It's a '99 Case 580L in good shape with good tires, 4X4, Extendahoe, EROPS, and low one-owner hours--2900! He wants $21,500 for it. This seems to be about 3-5 grand lower than other comparable machines I've looked at. What do you think about this? Is it too good to be true? It's at Lamarre Equipment in Mass., and I found it on Machinerytrader. I also found a '95 Case 580SL with the same options for $20,000. However, that machine has 7,000 hours on it. But, it was municipality-owned and maintained, and it looks to be in pretty good shape. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

chroniekon

Sounds like you've done your homework. You know what you want. You know what's a good price. I'd be on my way to look at the machine, or hire someone to look at it for me. One thing for sure, if it is a good deal, it won't be there very long!

A-1Sparky

That's what I'm worried about...but it's about a 5 hour drive for me. I'm hoping to speak with the original owner and pick his brain a little before I make the trip.

lumberjack

If you wait too long the deal will pass you. I'd call the dealer and make your intentions clear so hopefully it doesn't get sold from underneath you.

A-1Sparky

Too late on the municipality-owned machine. I just called and they sold it. I can't get through to the guy with the '99 580L...won't answer his phone and his voice mailbox is full...grrrr!

A-1Sparky

If you wait too long the deal will pass you. I'd call the dealer and make your intentions clear so hopefully it doesn't get sold from underneath you.

Too late on the low-hour 580L too...dammit! However, I did find a CAT 416B with 4X4 and extendahoe and only 4500 hours for $19,000. I'm just a little unsure about the Cats, as I've heard mixed reviews. What do you guys think?

Deon

I'm always a little confused when I hear about not wanting to drive 5 or 10 hrs. to buy something this expensive when they think is a good buy.
The last hoe I bought I drove 2 days looking at several TLB. The one I purchased was 3 hrs from home. The last car I bought is a 2007 Nissan 350Z cabriolet. I flew across 3 provinces to the dealer and drove 2 days to get back home. I drive 10 hrs on some sundays just for something to do.:confused:

bill onthehill

I racked up over 1200 miles running around central Pa. looking at machines till I found my 580K. Bought it on the spot after exercising it in the yard and had them deliver it the next week 200 miles from where I bought it.

A-1Sparky

I racked up over 1200 miles running around central Pa. looking at machines till I found my 580K. Bought it on the spot after exercising it in the yard and had them deliver it the next week 200 miles from where I bought it.

I found a 580K also. It's an '88 or '89 with probably around 5000 hrs. I say probably based on appearance and operation. The hour meter is stuck at 1905. It's a 4X4 with extendahoe and good tires. Runs, drives, and operates well. Current owner knows a lot of info about the machine...past owners, where it was serviced, how much was spent on repairs, etc. I can get it delivered for $16,000. Sound about right? I was hoping for a 580L, but they are either too expensive or the seller seems a little sketchy. For example, I found a 1996 Super L with 4400 hours, extendahoe, 4X4, new tires, new seat, supposedly runs and operates well but has an issue with a brake cylinder for $16,500. I've seen a lot of similar machines go for almost $10,000 more. The owner won't call me back for some reason???

DGODGR

There is nothing like being there and inspecting it (presuming that you know what to look for). I doubt anyone on this forum will be much help the way you are trying to use the forum. You are just offering some descriptions and asking for opinions. There are too many variables for anyone to offer meaningful advice without thurough inspection. Sorry. As for the 416B I had one, with EROPS and I would not complain about it. It won't be as nice as the current offerings but you are not going to be miserable. IMO it actually cools better than my 416C. You have not said if you are using it casualy or profesionally. This will make a big difference on comfort standards. Good luck.

A-1Sparky

There is nothing like being there and inspecting it (presuming that you know what to look for). I doubt anyone on this forum will be much help the way you are trying to use the forum. You are just offering some descriptions and asking for opinions. There are too many variables for anyone to offer meaningful advice without thurough inspection. Sorry. As for the 416B I had one, with EROPS and I would not complain about it. It won't be as nice as the current offerings but you are not going to be miserable. IMO it actually cools better than my 416C. You have not said if you are using it casualy or profesionally. This will make a big difference on comfort standards. Good luck.

I actually went and checked this machine out and ran it. It looks to be about what I need. I guess I was just hoping for experienced opinions about the 580k and the asking price for this machine. It will be used to dig a foundation, install a septic system, underground electrical, and a driveway. I will also use it for sloping/grading and snow removal. Probably will see 250-300 hours the first year and if I decide to keep it, then another maybe 50 hours a year after that. But I'll probably sell it after the house is built and landscaping is done, and then buy a smaller machine with implements. Thanks fir the replies.

Tinkerer

Cover all the bases so to speck when buying privately from an owner you do not know. The obvious ones are/ does the seller really own the machine, or he may have an undisclosed loan against it. Be darn sure it hasn't been stolen. There are ways to check that out. Create a bill of sale that covers your a## and both of you will need to sign and date it before you give him your payment. Two copy's, one for him to do as he pleases with and one for you to keep in secure place.

A-1Sparky

Cover all the bases so to speck when buying privately from an owner you do not know. The obvious ones are/ does the seller really own the machine, or he may have an undisclosed loan against it. Be darn sure it hasn't been stolen. There are ways to check that out. Create a bill of sale that covers your a## and both of you will need to sign and date it before you give him your payment. Two copy's, one for him to do as he pleases with and one for you to keep in secure place.

Thanks for the heads up

A-1Sparky

I Internet shop for the right deals. Not a fan of driving just to look.

I ended up putting an ad on Craigslist with the title "Backhoe Wanted" and got a number of good replies. I found and purchased a 1994 Case 590 Turbo with 4,000 hours, in good shape, extendahoe, 4X4, new tires, auxiliary hydraulics on the hoe, forks, and only 25 miles away :). Paid $17,500 for it. I was getting pretty frustrated with the search, but am glad that I waited for the right machine.

Deon

A-1Sparky,
Sounds like you hit the jackpot. Very low hrs for a 1994 and the 590 is
a big one. Can you post some pics?

Last edited:

kb9nvh

wow, that sounds like a great deal you got. Good tires, extra hydraulics and forks included it sounds like you got that about $7K off what a good price would have been.