• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

To go Air or Cordless

dist3

Occupation
Equipment Manager Enviromental and Site Contractor
I'll second the snapon cordless impact. Bought mine off the truck as a trade in works great, batteries have lasted well. Still will find a need for air gun.

Slidey

Occupation
HD fitter
I've grown up using air guns and find I can judge them a lot better than cordless. I just dont get the feedback off the cordless to know when something is getting tight if you know what I mean.

Had an ingersoll rand gun the other day, would definitely recommend that for power

bobb

Occupation
Mechanic
as noted it depends on what you work on. big bolts need big power. long usage needs long power. for me and what i do i like a 3/8 cordless impact. there are dozens of variants. air drills are my first choice. i have 7 of them. plastic air impacts are lightweight and very powerful. probly the only corded tools i use are grinders and saws. i like cheap die grinders. you can get a dozen for the price of one top of the line models. stick all kinds of bits and wheels in them and almost never have to stop to chenge a bit. if your gonna be a stickler for all name brand tools in your boxes then your gonna pay the price for that.

NoCrapmatsu

as noted it depends on what you work on. big bolts need big power. long usage needs long power. for me and what i do i like a 3/8 cordless impact. there are dozens of variants. air drills are my first choice. i have 7 of them. plastic air impacts are lightweight and very powerful. probly the only corded tools i use are grinders and saws. i like cheap die grinders. you can get a dozen for the price of one top of the line models. stick all kinds of bits and wheels in them and almost never have to stop to chenge a bit. if your gonna be a stickler for all name brand tools in your boxes then your gonna pay the price for that.

I like the cheap die grinders aswell, though I do have 1 snap on 1hp die grinder. Only ever had a cut off disc on it. I hate discs binding up or stalling out, and the snap on spins like a son of a b, and never stalls out. Eats discs like no other, but the company buys those:D

But I have about 4 others cheapos that I keep my other bits on, and I agree that for 90% of tasks they do just fine. Just I like the power if I ever need to cut something in a tight spot that a torch cant go into for whatever reason.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Had an ingersoll rand gun the other day, would definitely recommend that for power
This is probably the best 3/8" impact I've ever had.

Ingersoll Rand: Model# 2115TIMAX. http://www.sears.com/ingersoll-rand-titanium-3-8-impact-tool/p-00982915000P#reviewsWrap

I can, if I want, use a working pressure of 175 psi... I know it will stretch or obliterate a ½" grade 5 chisel plow sweep bolt.

Of course, my primary goal is to remove and replace, not... stretch or obliterate...:tong... lol

OCR

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
I take it you are NOT referring to grandpa in that sentence. :D
Hmmm?
Ahhh!...:idea Yes, you are correct.

The sentence, would then have had to read...
Of course, my primary goal is to stretch or obliterate, not... remove and replace...:tong ...lol

Since I can no longer edit that post, you have my absolute and unqualified permission... to 'fix' the last sentence in post #25.

OCR... :lmao