• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

To buy or not to buy an Allis Chalmer HD5G

Gooseidi

Occupation
Union Electrician, Local 351 IBEW / owner of Cut '
This machine is really tempting me.

http://southjersey.craig 4 slist.org/grd/441837387.html

I recently bought a 2000 New Holland 545D 4x4. My gut tells me to simply put my time and effort into this machine, fix PTO, replace a few lines for the Gannon box, and foremost find a way to adapt a Ford backhoe to it.

On the flipside I have 4 acres to clear, leaving select trees and pulling stumps for the others. The brute force of the track loader would be useful, a few stumps are probably as big as the 545D.

Should I go out on a limb and check out this machine or concentrate on making my industrial tractor 100% and just knock out my work in smaller pieces?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If you meant this machine: http://southjersey.craigslist.org/grd/4418373874.html, it is a gamble. This is an early unit, those tracks are far from 50%, the shoes alone are slick and useless save for welding some form of grouser to them and then the chains (rails) may be pretty well used up with no replacements available any more. Some parts are scarce, others non-existent as I own a Allis and fight with that every time it craps out. I would stick to what I have or rent a newer unit that I could send back if fails.

Gooseidi

Occupation
Union Electrician, Local 351 IBEW / owner of Cut '
Yeah, that's the one. Sorry, copy and pasting isn't that easy on my phone, lol. Shame all that work was done to the powerplant. I also have my Trojan 114, it will lift what the New Holland can't. That machine is getting pump and injectors in the next week or two.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Those machines were good little machines in their day, parts availability is killing them now as Allis in general has been gone since mid-80s and FA since the 90s. I am still awaiting the repair head for a Eaton Hydraulic pump for my HD7G, IF I ever manage to get it running and functional yet again I will be selling it while it does so I can get away from working on it more than running it or watching it set awaiting pieces I either have to make or wait on production runs.