• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tl140 problems

MasonMike

Hello everyone,
I have a tl140 with 2300 hours on it. The machine has been great up until a few months ago. It runs fine when its full of fuel but after it burns through a couple gallons it loses power and dies and is really hard to start back up, especially facing down hill. Ive tried everything i can think of that i know to do. Theres a member on here that had the exact same problem with the exact same machine a few years ago but hes been inactive since. Any advice?

heymccall

I'll take a go at this...

First, you say downhill is worse. The coolant level sensor is located in the top radiator hose. If it doesn't touch coolant (low level), the engine protection circuitry will stop the engine. Coolant level must be to top of radiator. If this sensor's operation is suspect, unplug the sensor (6" pigtail) and connect the engine side to ground.

2ndly, my coworkers remove the fuel filler neck strainer (because it splashes them, and takes too long to fuel). They then introduce rocks and straw to the tank. Since it is a bottom suck supply line, I've found rocks and straw plugging the tank bottom elbow, and the water separator inlet. But, usually, the symptoms don't follow the temperature.20190401_212807.jpg 20190401_212745.jpg

robzdist

Have you figured this out, I have been having the same issue for about three years, as long as my machine is full of fuel it runs great. get down about 5 gallon and it starts losing power. if working on a downhill grade it must be completely full of fuel. I have replaced everything except fuel tank and injector pump. including all fuel lines, filters, electric pump etc. Has nothing to do with Temp. load, engine rpm or anything except fuel level and grade machine is on. My machine has a little over 2000 hours as well

MasonMike

Yes sir, thanks to heymcall i got it fixed. So if you take the front circle skid plate off from under the machine it will expose the bottom pf the fuel tank. Its a terrible design. I welded a piece of 3/8 brake line to the elbow, crimped the end off and drilled a bunch of holes so they can all get clogged. Ill see if i cant figure out how to attach a pic.

Attachments

• CEBB7C28-2FD6-40E8-812B-DCDC33B5D1E5.jpeg
    CEBB7C28-2FD6-40E8-812B-DCDC33B5D1E5.jpeg
    720.7 KB · Views: 53

robzdist

I did that last year. didn't change anything. I took the entire system apart again couple days ago drained tank pulled all the lines changed all the filters. I still haven't figured it out. but i did manage to make it worse. Thanks for the Information. I was hopeful our solution would be the same.

Andrew calloway

Robz and MasonMike.

i have the exact same issue. as soon as i get on a grade going down will i loose power and dies. then have to slowly turn around or flatten out with the bucket to regain power. on flat ground runs great with full power. today i changed out air filter, fuel filter, checked the banjos near the water separator and drain fuel tank and refilles.

you guys figure anything out? and what is the fab up supposed with the intake?? keep it from clogging? i am convinced there is water in the tank.....should i buy a new tank a replace? i am so confused!!

thanks for the help if you fixed your machines.

robzdist

There is a small filter in the end of Electric fuel pump that you should replace. And a neck should be attached to the fuel feed line in bottom of the fuel tank. As described in this thread. Most machines are fixed by doing this. I had to take my entire fuel system apart and replace all the washers in the banjo fittings which fixed problem. Although it didn't act like it. Apparently it was sucking air.

Andrew calloway

ill try that. thank you. just dont understand why it run likes a champ on flat ground. raise the back end 6 inches and it barely stays running.
seen you liven in Jerseyville....im in edwardsville. send me a FB friend ....andrew calloway. once again....thanks for the help.