• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TL140 cranks but won't run

Matt Hyatt

Hi Guys,

Sorry to keep posting here for lame issues.... Seems every weekend I go out to start the skid and it's something different, and I'm totally new at this. Check the service manual but I don't really know where to start.

It ran fine last weekend once I sprayed the rad hose sensors. Now it will only turn over and make a black puff of smoke, about 3 separate times, and on the 3rd time, slightly higher RPM, but never starts. Then I reset the key position, and try again, and exactly the same results. I was thinking maybe the battery was low the first time and it didn't crank enough to combust, so it flooded? since I'm seeing all that black smoke? so I got a jumper on it and it's cranking hard, but same issue.

Could that be air in the fuel? Fuel stop solenoid? Any tips on where I should start?

Matt Hyatt

Okay okay I give in... when I posted that I wasn’t going to even mention it... I was ashamed. I thought it was out of fuel. I added a five gallon jug and it fired right up. The guage was Resing empty so I thought that was it.

But I would have sworn I had at least 5 - 10 gallons in there.

So yesterday I go to top it off and it overflowed and was full already with that 5 gallon jug that topped it off. WTH? Maybe the sending unit was stuck?

Anyways, good guess Skata. Ran it hard yesterday with a Bradco tilt with valve and 4n1 that I used to clean up an old steep logging road in northern CA. My tracks are worn and it was muddy so I could at least use the grade of the hill to help me push things and gut. Really which I would have a 6 way, 4n1 bucket lol.